1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity changes when force applied perpendicular

1. Jul 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

velocity changes when force applied perpendicular

i cant understand a simple question.
    can u help me
    what i know is that speed in short its magnitude does not change when force is applied perpendicular.its direction only changes so does the velocity.
    what i dont understand is how do this velocity changes direction when we apply force perpendicular.can u tell me any proof or in detail about how they are related.
    also can u tell me in uniform circular motion how velocity changes and what exactly is centripetal force and centrifugal force.

please tell me in detail like some proof u see
    when they are pependiulcar we calculate resultant and still it doesnt change anything like that

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2012 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's not quite correct. The component in the original direction won't change but the speed in the new direction can change.

Consider a man cycling north at 5 mph when he is hit by a car travelling east at 50mph. He bounces off the car goes flying through the air. The man will end up travelling in a new direction (slightly north of east) and considerably faster than 5mph. However the northerly component of his new velocity will still be 5mph (assuming no friction between him and the car during the collision).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook