Velocity from a force time graph

In summary, the problem asks for the speed at which a woman leaves the ground during a vertical jump, taking into account the force of the floor and other forces acting on her. The solution involves calculating the impulse from the area under the graph, considering the woman's mass and weight, and finding the net force acting on her.
TheFluffyDuck

Homework Statement

The figure is a graph of the force exerted by the floor on a woman making a vertical jump.
At what speed does she leave the ground? Hint: The force of the floor is not the only force acting on the woman.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely lost with this question. First I derived her mass from the 600N from the graph. Which was about 61.22kg

Then I calculated the Impusle from the area underthe graph, but where from? All the area or minus the forces of gravity? then I used:

Impulse= m(delta v)

But I am not getting anywhere :(

Attachments

• image022.jpg.jpeg
    image022.jpg.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 1,364
Physics news on Phys.org
Starting with this: Impulse= m(delta v)

Then delta v = Impulse/m, and delta v = v - vo, and vo = ?

Im guessing Vo is zero becasue she is jumping straight up?

Do I calculate Impulse to be the entire area under the graph or just a certain segment under the graph?

TheFluffyDuck said:
Im guessing Vo is zero becasue she is jumping straight up?
Correct. Standing she starts are rest.

Do I calculate Impulse to be the entire area under the graph or just a certain segment under the graph?
Weight which is a force, does not provide for acceleration. One has to consider the force in excess of the weight.

Astronuc said:
Correct. Standing she starts are rest.

Weight which is a force, does not provide for acceleration. One has to consider the force in excess of the weight.

Thanks for your replies.
So since F=mg, and I derived mass from 600/9.8. does that mean that the impusle is the area of the graph from anything that is >600n?

TheFluffyDuck said:
Thanks for your replies.
So since F=mg, and I derived mass from 600/9.8. does that mean that the impusle is the area of the graph from anything that is >600n?
The 600 N is her weight, when she is not moving, so the force in excess of 600 N goes toward accelerating her mass.

Another way of looking at this problem is to convert F(t) to a(t), since a(t) is just F(t)/m, however, one has to look at Fnet(t), which is the difference between Ftotal(t) and mg.

What is velocity from a force time graph?

Velocity from a force time graph refers to the measurement of an object's speed and direction at different points in time, as represented by a graph of the force applied to the object over time.

How is velocity calculated from a force time graph?

To calculate velocity from a force time graph, you would need to find the slope of the line on the graph. This can be done by dividing the change in force by the change in time. The resulting value represents the object's velocity at that particular point in time.

What does a positive slope on a force time graph indicate about velocity?

A positive slope on a force time graph indicates that the object is moving in the positive direction, meaning that its velocity is increasing over time. This could be due to a positive force acting on the object, such as a push or a pull.

What does a negative slope on a force time graph indicate about velocity?

A negative slope on a force time graph indicates that the object is moving in the negative direction, meaning that its velocity is decreasing over time. This could be due to a negative force acting on the object, such as friction or resistance.

Can velocity be determined from a single point on a force time graph?

No, velocity cannot be determined from a single point on a force time graph. This is because velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction over time, and a single point does not provide enough information to accurately calculate the object's velocity.