1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity from a force time graph

1. Apr 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The figure is a graph of the force exerted by the floor on a woman making a vertical jump.
    At what speed does she leave the ground? Hint: The force of the floor is not the only force acting on the woman.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I am completely lost with this question. First I derived her mass from the 600N from the graph. Which was about 61.22kg

Then I calculated the Impusle from the area underthe graph, but where from? All the area or minus the forces of gravity? then I used:

Impulse= m(delta v)

But Im not getting anywhere :(

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2009 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Starting with this: Impulse= m(delta v)

Then delta v = Impulse/m, and delta v = v - vo, and vo = ?

4. Apr 17, 2009 #3
    Im guessing Vo is zero becasue she is jumping straight up?

Do I calculate Impulse to be the entire area under the graph or just a certain segment under the graph?

5. Apr 17, 2009 #4

Astronuc

Correct. Standing she starts are rest.

Weight which is a force, does not provide for acceleration. One has to consider the force in excess of the weight.

6. Apr 17, 2009 #5
    Thanks for your replies.
    So since F=mg, and I derived mass from 600/9.8. does that mean that the impusle is the area of the graph from anything that is >600n?

7. Apr 17, 2009 #6

Astronuc

The 600 N is her weight, when she is not moving, so the force in excess of 600 N goes toward accelerating her mass.

8. Apr 17, 2009 #7

Astronuc

Another way of looking at this problem is to convert F(t) to a(t), since a(t) is just F(t)/m, however, one has to look at Fnet(t), which is the difference between Ftotal(t) and mg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook