1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity graph (reverse direction)

1. Sep 15, 2011 #1
    please explain to me about reverse direction. dont just give me an aswer :) thanks.

Consider the velocity vs. time graph shown here. focusing on the issue of whether the object turns around (reverese direction)

Velocity
    |
    | (TRIANGLE HERE)___time

a. why might a smart student say the object reverse direction?

b. why might a smart student say the object doesn't reverse direction?

c. does the object reverse direction? as part of your explanation, explain why the other argument is incorrect, and give advice to someone who made that mistake that can help them understand why they made the mistake and how they can avoid it in the future.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

if an object reverses direction, then its velocity will be positive at some time, and negative at a later/earlier time. It will also be zero in between those two times.
    Pretty hard to refer to you situation as I can't see if the (TRIANGLE HERE) is entirely above the time axis, entirely below the time axis or partially each????

4. Sep 15, 2011 #3
    this is the link of the worksheet its on page 4 (HW2-4) question A, b, c. the graph is on the side.
    http://panda.unm.edu/Courses/Saul/Physics1/Tutorials/02_V_and_A_Graph_Tutorial_HW.pdf [Broken]

thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

That link doesn't work. It doesn't even look complete.

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5
    http://panda.unm.edu/Courses/Saul/Physics1/Tutorials/02_V_and_A_Graph_Tutorial_HW.pdf [Broken]

yea i just realized it.. here it is again. sorry about that

7. Sep 16, 2011 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

My first explanation of how you determine whether an object changed direction should be sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook