Velocity of a single-stage rocket

In summary, the problem involves a single-stage rocket with an initial velocity of 2.4 × 103 m/s in deep space. It fires its engine with an exhaust speed of 1.3 × 103 m/s. The question asks for the rocket's speed after losing one-third of its inertia due to burned fuel ejected all at once. The approach to solving this problem involves translating to the center of momentum frame, where the rocket is initially at rest and then 1/3 of it is kicked one way and 2/3 the other. The speed of the exhaust is then relative to that frame, not the rocket. From this frame, the rocket's final velocity can be calculated and then converted back to the original frame
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A single-stage rocket is in deep space coasting at vrocket,i = 2.4 × 103 m/s. It fires its engine, which has an exhaust speed of vexhaust = 1.3 × 3 m/s.
What is the rocket's speed vrocket,fafter it has lost one-third of its inertia by exhausting burned fuel? Assume that the fuel is ejected all at once.

Homework Equations

[itex] p = mv [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly am not sure where to begin. I know that [itex] m_{f} = \frac{2}{3} m_{i} [/itex], but what do I do with vexhaust? The chapter the problem is from is on collisions and such, but I don't really see a collision here. This reminds me of a problem we had once where a person lost in space throws a wrench some "v" to change their course, but I can't remember how the problem was set up :S help, please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of a collision, by assuming the fuel is ejected all at once, you have something similar to an instant explosion or an instant pulse. Using the rockets initial velocity as a frame of rereference, the fuel is sent away in one direction, and the rocket is sent in the other direction. You're given the mass and the velocity of the fuel relative to the rocket's intial velocity.

rcgldr said:
Instead of a collision, by assuming the fuel is ejected all at once, you have something similar to an instant explosion or an instant pulse. Using the rockets initial velocity as a frame of rereference, the fuel is sent away in one direction, and the rocket is sent in the other direction. You're given the mass and the velocity of the fuel relative to the rocket's intial velocity.

Okay, so in terms of a conservation of momentum:

[itex] m_{i} v = \frac{1}{3} m_{i} v_{exhaust} + \frac{2}{2} m_{i} v_{rocket, f} [/itex]

and I use this to solve for vrocket, f, right?

Very often these problems are easier to solve if you first translate to the center of [STRIKE]mass[/STRIKE] momentum frame, then change back to the "lab frame" at the end. The nice thing about the center of [STRIKE]mass[/STRIKE] momentum frame is that the total momentum is zero.

In the COM frame the rocket is at rest before it ejects its lump of exhaust. The exhaust is kicked one way at its given speed while the remainder of the rocket is kicked in the opposite direction. So it's a classic conservation of momentum setup with a known velocity for one of the masses. Easy!

To convert back to the "lab frame" just add back your initial velocity to each component's COM frame velocities.

[Edit: Note, I edited my brain fart: I meant center of momentum frame when I said mass frame]

Last edited:
Attempting the problem now that I am home, My answer was 2950 m/s for the final velocity of the rocket, which off the top of my head makes sense because the velocity increased (as the act of firing the rocket is intended to do). I started off by assuming I was correct above and [itex] m_{i} v = \frac{1}{3} m_{i} v_{e} + \frac{2}{3} m_{i} v{R,f} [/itex] and "plugging in all the values I know, I got [itex] m_{i} 2.4x10^{3} \frac{m}{s} = \frac{1}{3} 1.3x10^{3} \frac{m}{s} + \frac{2}{3} m_{i} v_{f,R} [/itex]. I noticed that the mi terms could be factored out of the right side and cancelled, and I multiplied out by 3 to get rid of the fractions. I then subtracted velocityexhaust from both sides and divided by 2 to achieve my answer.

gneill said:
Very often these problems are easier to solve if you first translate to the center of mass frame, then change back to the "lab frame" at the end. The nice thing about the center of mass frame is that the total momentum is zero.

In the COM frame the rocket is at rest before it ejects its lump of exhaust. The exhaust is kicked one way at its given speed while the remainder of the rocket is kicked in the opposite direction. So it's a classic conservation of momentum setup with a known velocity for one of the masses. Easy!

To convert back to the "lab frame" just add back your initial velocity to each component's COM frame velocities.

Oh, that does sound a lot easier. We learned about systems and choosing them last chapter, the system I "chose" included the rocket and space around it, but I suppose a system of only the rocket would make the problem easier, there is a problem similar to this one in the practice workbook, I will look at it and see if I can do it

Thanks.

Yeah, note I edited my message. I meant "center of momentum frame", not "center of mass frame". Although they are the one and the same if there's only one object :smile:

gneill said:
Yeah, note I edited my message. I meant "center of momentum frame", not "center of mass frame". Although they are the one and the same if there's only one object :smile:

Hate to bother you but my answer of 2950 m/s was wrong and the reason it gave was "Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures." This doesn't make sense to me because I only used the numbers they gave me, and never rounded anything.

I suspect the problem lies with having to incorporate the initial velocity with the velocity of the exhaust when you work in the initial frame of reference; the exhaust speed is relative to the rocket, not the "lab frame". So your momentum equation was not correct for that frame.

Give it a try in the COM frame. The rocket is initially at rest and then 1/3 of it is kicked one way and 2/3 the other. The speed of the exhaust is then relative to that frame, not the rocket. What's the new speed of the rocket in that frame?

gneill said:
I suspect the problem lies with having to incorporate the initial velocity with the velocity of the exhaust when you work in the initial frame of reference; the exhaust speed is relative to the rocket, not the "lab frame". So your momentum equation was not correct for that frame.

Give it a try in the COM frame. The rocket is initially at rest and then 1/3 of it is kicked one way and 2/3 the other. The speed of the exhaust is then relative to that frame, not the rocket. What's the new speed of the rocket in that frame?

I got the final velocity of the rocket (in the COM Frame) to be 650 m/s, and to convert back to the "lab frame" I just add the rocket's cruising velocity to that to achieve an answer of 3050 m/s. Is that correct?

B3NR4Y said:
I got the final velocity of the rocket (in the COM Frame) to be 650 m/s, and to convert back to the "lab frame" I just add the rocket's cruising velocity to that to achieve an answer of 3050 m/s. Is that correct?

Looks good to me!

Likes 1 person

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of a single-stage rocket?

The formula for calculating the velocity of a single-stage rocket is V = u + at, where V is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

2. How does the velocity of a single-stage rocket change over time?

The velocity of a single-stage rocket increases as the rocket burns fuel and experiences acceleration from the thrust of its engines. Once the rocket reaches its desired altitude, the engines shut off and the velocity remains constant until it reaches its destination.

3. What factors affect the velocity of a single-stage rocket?

The velocity of a single-stage rocket is affected by the thrust of its engines, the weight of the rocket and its payload, and the amount of fuel it carries. Air resistance and gravity also play a role in the velocity of a rocket.

4. How does the velocity of a single-stage rocket compare to other types of rockets?

The velocity of a single-stage rocket is typically lower than that of multi-stage rockets, as it has less fuel and thrust capabilities. However, single-stage rockets are more efficient and cost-effective for smaller missions or payloads.

5. Can the velocity of a single-stage rocket be controlled?

Yes, the velocity of a single-stage rocket can be controlled through the use of its engines and fuel supply. By adjusting the thrust and burn rate of the engines, the velocity can be increased, decreased, or maintained at a constant speed.