1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity of center of mass of spinning disk

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    A solid uniform disk of mass 19.0 kg and radius 70.0 cm (.7 m) is at rest FLAT on a frictionless surface. A string is wrapped around the rim of the disk and a constant force of 35.0 N is applied to the string. The string does not slip on the rim. The string is being pulled. When the disk has moved a distance of 6 m, what is the speed of the center of mass?

Relevant equations (I think...):
    I=1/2MR^2
    FR=Iα
    α=a/R

So far, I have:
    FR=Iα
    FR=1/2MR^2(a/R)
    F=1/2Ma
    a=2*F/M=3.33333 m/s^2

and then,
    v^2=2*a*6m, since initial velocity is 0.
    v=7.26 m/s

But this is wrong, and I'm not sure why. Please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Newton's second law holds for translational motion, even if the net force results in a torque. The angular and linear components can be dealt with separately when they are not "coupled" via some friction or other mechanical mechanism (like a rolling object or a pulley and string).

4. Nov 1, 2011 #3
    Thank you. I'm not sure how I would use Newton's Second Law, due to the fact that the normal force and mg are perpendicular to the movement and therefore not contributing to the velocity.

I'm so frustrated :)

5. Nov 1, 2011 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

mg and the normal force are equal and opposite, so their contribution vanishes. You only have to deal with the force applied via the string.

6. Nov 1, 2011 #5
    OH, thank you gneill!!!

Answer is:

F=ma
    35N=(21kg)a
    a=1.667 m/s^2

v^2=0 + 2(1.667)(7.9), 0 being the initial velocity
    v=5.1 m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook