Velocity of COM after collision

In summary, the velocity of the head prior to the collision is determined by the formula sqrt(2gh), as all of the gravitational potential energy is converted to kinetic energy. After the collision, the velocity at point A is given by vf=e•sqrt(2gh), with e representing the coefficient of restitution. The head should be treated as a rod with a moment of inertia of (ml^2)/12. To ensure that the center of mass has zero velocity, it is necessary to conserve angular momentum about point A, as the center of mass has an initial angular momentum of sqrt(2gh)mb prior to the collision.
Mooy
Homework Statement
Show that the velocity of the centre mass of the body is zero immediately after impact if the following equation holds.
b^2=(e•l^2)/12
Note: The head is released from rest and the only force acting on the head during impact is at point A
Relevant Equations
KE=0.5mv^2
GPE=mgh
V=rω
I=(ml^2)/12

I calculated that the velocity of the head prior to the collision is sqrt(2gh), as all of the gravitational potential energy is converted to kinetic energy.

And I believe the velocity at point A after the collision is given by the formula vf=e•sqrt(2gh), with e representing the coefficient of restitution. As the ground does not change in velocity during the collision.

I believe that the head is meant to be treated as a rod with a moment of inertia of (ml^2)/12.

I’m unsure how to go about getting the centre of mass to have zero velocity, any help would be greatly appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you covered the "impulse-momentum theorem" and the corresponding "angular impulse-angular momentum theorem"?

Recall that angular momentum is always calculated relative to some point ("origin"). What would be a good choice for the origin in this problem?

TSny said:
Have you covered the "impulse-momentum theorem" and the corresponding "angular impulse-angular momentum theorem"?

Recall that angular momentum is always calculated relative to some point ("origin"). What would be a good choice for the origin in this problem?
Thanks heaps think I get it now.

Would it be to conserve angular momentum about A, and the COM has an initial angular momentum of sqrt(2gh)mb prior to the collision.
I forgot that an object without angular velocity still has angular momentum

Mooy said:
Thanks heaps think I get it now.

Would it be to conserve angular momentum about A, and the COM has an initial angular momentum of sqrt(2gh)mb prior to the collision.
I forgot that an object without angular velocity still has angular momentum
That will give the desired answer, when combined with your two beliefs in post #1.

1. What is the definition of velocity of COM after collision?

The velocity of COM (Center of Mass) after a collision is the combined velocity of all the individual objects involved in the collision, taking into account the mass and velocity of each object.

2. How is the velocity of COM after collision calculated?

The velocity of COM after collision can be calculated using the formula: VCOM = (m1v1 + m2v2 + ... + mnvn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m represents mass and v represents velocity.

3. Why is the velocity of COM after collision important?

The velocity of COM after collision is important because it helps us understand the overall movement and behavior of the objects involved in the collision. It is also used in various calculations and theories in physics, such as conservation of momentum and energy.

4. Can the velocity of COM after collision be negative?

Yes, the velocity of COM after collision can be negative if the objects involved in the collision have opposing directions of motion. This means that the COM is moving in the opposite direction of the initial motion before the collision.

5. How does the elasticity of the objects affect the velocity of COM after collision?

The elasticity of the objects involved in the collision can affect the velocity of COM after collision. In an elastic collision, where there is no loss of energy, the velocity of COM after collision will be the same as before the collision. In an inelastic collision, where there is some loss of energy, the velocity of COM after collision will be less than before the collision.