Velocity of Wave in Twice the Radius String: V = root(Tension/mu) * root2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
lostie100
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
A wave travels along a string at a speed of 280m/s. What will the speed if the string is replaced by one made of the same material and under the same tension but having twice the radius?

V = root (Tension/mu)

mu = mass/length

length is 2radii

I manipulated the formulas, however, apparently you divide the velocity by 2, but I found it to be multiplied by root2.
Please show me the manipulation of the formulas...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming uniform density what happens when you double the cross-section of the string that remains the same length? Does the total mass of the string change? By how much?

Plug in your numbers then and see what happens.
 
The mass also doubles...but I don't see how it relates to the other formula for velocity...