1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity Ratio and Lever Confirmation

1. May 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the velocity ratio of the attached lever.

2. Relevant equations

Velocity Ratio = Distance moved by effort * Distance moved by load

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok I'm having some confusion over this question. I cannot figure out whether the 'Distance moved by the load should be 6 or 5? I am assuming it should be 1/5 as for every 1m the effort moves the load moves by 5.

Or should i be basing my answer taking the dimensions from the fulcrum in which case it will be 1/6?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi junkie_ball! :smile:

hint: for a given small angle θ, how far does the load actually move? :wink:

4. May 29, 2012 #3
    Tiny-tim thanks for the hint. I have been looking at this problem again today and i believed the answer originally should have been 1/6 as the effort is 1m away from the fulcrum and the load 6m away from the fulcrum. This came back marked as incorrect though.

This is why i considered the 1/5 although to me using the equation VR= Distance moved by effort * Distance moved by load i'm still inclined to say 1/6 as in my original diagram if the effort distance moved by 1 then the load distance would move by 6? I'm so confused by this which is maddening as the maths is so simple!!! :cry: Anymore pointers to help me understand where my error is will be greatly appreciated as it's the last question i need to resubmit to pass this unit!

5. May 29, 2012 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

your answer of 1/6 looks correct to me :confused:

velocity ratio = distance moved by effort / distance moved by load,

which from the diagram (i suppose you're definitely using the correct diagram?) is obviously 1/6

(the only alternative answer i can think of is 0.166)

6. Jun 19, 2012 #5
    Sorry for the late reply i was waiting for my work to come back marked. Again i used the formula above and went with 1/6 or 0.166 as my answer and again its come back as incorrect. the diagram is definitely right (well what they have printed. This is ICS and have had quite a few errors in the text up to now.) I'm lost on this. You ask the tutor advice and they refer you to the page in the course materials which just gives the equation velocity ratio = distance moved by effort / distance moved by load which to me is 1/6. Arr

7. Jun 19, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi junkie_ball! :smile:

your answer of 1/6 is obviously correct

if you're allowed as many tries as you like, then i'd suggest trying 1/5 or -1/5 (but it's presumably the wrong diagram, so the answer could be anything :redface:)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook