Velocity ratio of a third class lever

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving a 3rd class lever with a load of 1962 and an effort of 11772N at a distance of 5m and 1m respectively. The calculated mechanical advantage is 0.16 or 1/6, resulting in a velocity ratio of 1/6. However, the question of using vertical distance to solve for the velocity ratio is brought up, with the solution being 0.167777. The conversation then moves on to discussing efficiency and the relationship between input and output energy, before finally calculating the velocity ratio with an efficiency of 65%, resulting in a value of 0.26.
rad10k

Homework Statement

3rd class lever 5m distance from load to effort and 1m distance from effort to pivot.

Load = 1962

Effort required to lift load = 11772N

MA = 0.16 or 1/6 ( so there really is no MA)

Calculate the velocity ratio of the system ?

Homework Equations

I have been told to use vertical distance to solve but I don't know how to work ouyt the vertical distance

VR = Distance moved by effort / distance moved by load

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was

1 / 6 = 0.167777 or 0.17

I have been told this is wrong and I must use the vertical distance but I can't find anywhere that will help me work this out can someone offer me guidance please.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks correct to me. You can find the ratio using the geometry of similar triangles ( draw a sketch)...if the load end moves up 1 m, the effort point moves up by 1/6 m, during that same time period. You can assume any distance you want...the ratio will be the same for vertical distance or velocity.

thanks

rad10k said:

Homework Statement

3rd class lever 5m distance from load to effort and 1m distance from effort to pivot.

Load = 1962

Effort required to lift load = 11772N

MA = 0.16 or 1/6 ( so there really is no MA)

Calculate the velocity ratio of the system ?

Homework Equations

I have been told to use vertical distance to solve but I don't know how to work ouyt the vertical distance

VR = Distance moved by effort / distance moved by load

My attempt was

1 / 6 = 0.167777 or 0.17

I have been told this is wrong and I must use the vertical distance but I can't find anywhere that will help me work this out can someone offer me guidance please.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

PhanthomJay said:
That looks correct to me. You can find the ratio using the geometry of similar triangles ( draw a sketch)...if the load end moves up 1 m, the effort point moves up by 1/6 m, during that same time period. You can assume any distance you want...the ratio will be the same for vertical distance or velocity.

Since it's the load which moves at a greater velocity (It moves a greater distance in a given time.), the velocity ratio is:

[tex]{{v_{Load}}\over{v_{Effort}}}={{6}\over{1}}\ .[/tex]

SammyS said:

Since it's the load which moves at a greater velocity (It moves a greater distance in a given time.), the velocity ratio is:

[tex]{{v_{Load}}\over{v_{Effort}}}={{6}\over{1}}\ .[/tex]

But the VR is Veffort/Vload = 1/6.

PhanthomJay said:
But the VR is Veffort/Vload = 1/6.

If I did that wrong, I apologize.

I was thinking that since Mechanical Advantage is:

[tex]\displaystyle \text{MA}={{F_{Load}}\over{F_{effort}}}\,,[/tex]

then velocity ratio would be similar.

I wasn't sure of the ratio either, which was the numerator and which was the denominator? I gather for a third class lever, where you have to apply a large force to lift a small load, the MA is less than 1, sacrificed to get a higher load velocity.

yes the MA is 1/6 which I am dividing 1 by 6 to get 0.17(0.167777) to us in the VR formula

Assuming 100% efficiency , if the energy put in was 3000j would I be correct in think that
the output energy would also be 3000J since ouput = input/efficiency ie. 3000J/100*100 = 3000J ?

Then the next question relating is : If the efficiency of the system is 65% , calculate the Velocity ratio?

The formula I am using for this is : VR = MA/efficency

so, VR 0.17/65*100 = 0.26

Although that is more than I started with so I think how can that be correct?

Thanks for any help

Efficiency is output/input.

Hi, I'm stuck on the same question.

The velocity ratio seems at first glance to be 1/6 as the load is 6 times further from the fulcrum than the effort though in the next question it states the efficiency is 65% giving a vr of 0.256?

Related to Velocity ratio of a third class lever

1. What is the definition of velocity ratio of a third class lever?

The velocity ratio of a third class lever is the ratio of the distance from the effort to the fulcrum (load arm) to the distance from the load to the fulcrum (effort arm).

2. How is the velocity ratio calculated for a third class lever?

The velocity ratio for a third class lever can be calculated by dividing the length of the load arm by the length of the effort arm.

3. What is the significance of the velocity ratio in a third class lever?

The velocity ratio determines the mechanical advantage of the third class lever, which indicates the efficiency of the lever in overcoming resistance.

4. Can the velocity ratio of a third class lever be greater than 1?

Yes, the velocity ratio of a third class lever can be greater than 1. This means that the effort arm is longer than the load arm, resulting in a mechanical advantage.

5. How does the velocity ratio affect the force required to lift a load in a third class lever?

The velocity ratio indirectly affects the force required to lift a load in a third class lever. A greater velocity ratio means a smaller force is needed to lift a load, but the distance the effort must travel is also increased.