Velocity to acceleration then conversion from km/h to m/s2 confusion

In summary, the car has a constant speed of 60 km/h while traveling in a straight line for 5.3 hours, resulting in an acceleration of 0 m/s^2. This is because constant speed means there is no change in velocity, and therefore no acceleration.
survivorboiii
A car travels in a straight line for 5.3 h at a constant speed of 60 km/h.
What is its acceleration? Answer in units of m/s2

So far, to my understanding so far acceleration is change in velocity over time. So 60 over 5.3, which is 11.32 km/h2

Then I converted to m first, which is 1132 m/h2, then from h2 to sec, which is .00524 m/sec2.

But that isn't the answer, what did I do wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
"a constant speed of 60 km/h.
What is its acceleration?"

What does CONSTANT speed mean, when you are traveling along a straight line? In particular, what is the acceleration then?

I'm not understanding what your asking. The acceleration is (60-0)/time right?

What was the INITIAL speed?
What is the FINAL speed?

In particular, in those 5.3 hours, does the speed change?

hi survivorboiii! welcome to pf! :smile:
survivorboiii said:
… acceleration is change in velocity over time. …

hint: what does "change" mean? :wink:

The car probably started at 0km/h, then speeds up to 60km/h where it stayed for 5.3hr

"0km/h, then speeds up to 60km/h "
Really?
What does the book say about the speed during the time interval we're looking at?

Enlighten me, I don't have my book with me. I guess I'm still confused about speed, vel, and acc

What does the word CONSTANT mean?

constant velocity means acceleration is 0 doesn't it because the velocity isn't changing

survivorboiii said:
constant velocity means acceleration is 0 doesn't it because the velocity isn't changing

Correct!

So what was wrong with your two statements:

1. " The car probably started at 0km/h, then speeds up to 60km/h where it stayed for 5.3hr"

2. "The acceleration is (60-0)/time right? "

In particular:
How should you reframe the equation in 2. ?

Would it be 0-60 over time?

Why?
You said yourself:
"constant velocity means acceleration is 0 doesn't it because the velocity isn't changing "

How can the speed change from 0 to 60 if it isn't changing?

Likes 1 person
(just got up :zzz:)

average acceleration = final velocity minus initial velocity divided by time

instantaneous acceleration (usually just called "acceleration") = final velocity after an extremely short time minus initial velocity divided by that extremely short time = the slope of the velocity-time graph :smile:

this question is asking for acceleration​

so draw a graph … what is the slope? :wink:

Likes 1 person
IT just hit me...the acceleration is 0 because the vel is constant! :) Thanks both of you!

survivorboiii said:
IT just hit me...the acceleration is 0 because the vel is constant! :) Thanks both of you!

:smile:
PS:
Remember to give your answer as 0m/s^2, because the exercise specifically asked you to include units

1. What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity refers to the rate of change of an object's position with respect to time, while acceleration refers to the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. In simpler terms, velocity measures how fast an object is moving, while acceleration measures how quickly the object's speed is changing.

2. How do you convert from velocity to acceleration?

To convert from velocity to acceleration, you can use the formula a = v/t, where a is acceleration, v is velocity, and t is time. This formula takes into account the change in velocity over a specific time period and gives the average acceleration during that time.

3. Why is there confusion between km/h and m/s2 in velocity to acceleration conversion?

The confusion between km/h and m/s2 often arises because both units involve measuring speed. However, km/h is a unit of speed, while m/s2 is a unit of acceleration. This can lead to mistakes when converting between the two units if not careful.

4. How do you convert km/h to m/s2?

To convert from km/h to m/s2, you must first convert km/h to m/s and then divide by the time in seconds to get the acceleration in m/s2. For example, if an object is traveling at 50 km/h, you would first convert it to 13.89 m/s, and then divide by the time in seconds to get the acceleration.

5. Why is it important to understand the conversion between velocity and acceleration?

Understanding the conversion between velocity and acceleration is crucial for accurately measuring and describing the motion of objects. It allows scientists to analyze how quickly an object is changing its speed and in which direction, which is essential in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and astronomy.