Velocity-Vs Time Graphs - 2nd problem

In summary, to sketch a velocity vs time graph for a ball being thrown up and then returning to a person's hand, first sketch the vertical position vs time graph and then sketch the derivative of that graph, with time on the horizontal axis for both graphs.
koolkidx45
Velocity-Vs Time Graphs -- 2nd problem

How would i sketch a velocity vs time graph for the following scenario:

A ball is thrown up out of a person's hand, it rises and then returns to the person's hand.

I just don't know how to illustrate this on a velocity vs time graph

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

koolkidx45 said:
How would i sketch a velocity vs time graph for the following scenario:

A ball is thrown up out of a person's hand, it rises and then returns to the person's hand.

I just don't know how to illustrate this on a velocity vs time graph

Thanks

Sketch the vertical position versus time graph. Then sketch the derivative of that graph. Put time on the horizontal axis for both graphs.

What is a velocity-vs time graph?

A velocity-vs time graph is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's velocity and time. It shows how an object's velocity changes over a period of time.

How is a velocity-vs time graph constructed?

A velocity-vs time graph is constructed by plotting the velocity of an object on the y-axis and time on the x-axis. The slope of the graph represents the acceleration of the object.

What information can be obtained from a velocity-vs time graph?

A velocity-vs time graph can provide information about an object's acceleration, direction of motion, and changes in velocity over time.

How can you determine the average velocity from a velocity-vs time graph?

The average velocity can be determined by calculating the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph, using the formula: average velocity = (change in y-axis)/(change in x-axis).

What does a horizontal line on a velocity-vs time graph indicate?

A horizontal line on a velocity-vs time graph indicates that the object is not accelerating, and therefore has a constant velocity.