Verification for Net Force and Vectors?

In summary, In 38, I do not understand the second hand-drawn force diagram. You have drawn the E force as N and the N force as E, leading to the wrong angle. In 39, you end with "N 50 E", but no applied forces have a component to the E. I haven't checked the numerics in detail, but they all look about right. Thank you!
Meeeessttteeehh
Hello everyone! I was given the following three questions in my homework, and I had a lot of trouble with them, so I was hoping someone could look them over! If you could just check out my pictures and say "yeah its awesome!" or "nope... [insert helpful answer here]" that would be GREAT. Thanks so much!
38.png
39.png
40.png

Attachments

• 39.png
    39.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 386
  • 40.png
    40.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 327
  • 38.png
    38.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 520
Physics news on Phys.org
In 38, I do not understand the second hand-drawn force diagram. You have drawn the E force as N and the N force as E, leading to the wrong angle.

In 39, you end with "N 50 E", but no applied forces have a component to the E.

I haven't checked the numerics in detail, but they all look about right.

Likes Meeeessttteeehh
Hello meester, :welcome:

Check your ##\sin 35^\circ##
[edit] no need. But still:

Read the guidelines and don't erase the template.

haruspex said:
In 38, I do not understand the second hand-drawn force diagram. You have drawn the E force as N and the N force as E, leading to the wrong angle.

In 39, you end with "N 50 E", but no applied forces have a component to the E.

I haven't checked the numerics in detail, but they all look about right.

Thank you! I have adjusted the trig in question 38 and now have a final answer of 32.9 N [N 3 degrees E]. I will redraw the diagram. As for 39, that was a good catch. I guess you could probably tell I did this when I was tired... Thanks again!

Meeeessttteeehh said:
N 3 degrees E
I was expecting you would just get the complement, making it N 72°E.

haruspex said:
I was expecting you would just get the complement, making it N 72°E.

could you define complement? I'm not sure I understand.

Meeeessttteeehh said:
could you define complement? I'm not sure I understand.
In your original solution you got the N and E net forces swapped around, producing a resultant 18 degrees E of N. Correcting them should give you the complementary angle (90-θ), i.e 18 degrees N of E, or 72 degrees E of N.

haruspex said:
In your original solution you got the N and E net forces swapped around, producing a resultant 18 degrees E of N. Correcting them should give you the complementary angle (90-θ), i.e 18 degrees N of E, or 72 degrees E of N.

Sorry, but I still don't understand. I've been taught that when using the decomposition method I use trig to find theta. I swapped my values so they might be correct, and used tan to determine 3.0505 as theta, and I am not sure where I have gone wrong... Here is my updated picture
38b.png

Attachments

• 38b.png
    38b.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 713
Meeeessttteeehh said:
Sorry, but I still don't understand. I've been taught that when using the decomposition method I use trig to find theta. I swapped my values so they might be correct, and used tan to determine 3.0505 as theta, and I am not sure where I have gone wrong... Here is my updated picture
. View attachment 219236
Isn't 3.0505 just the ratio of the sides? You need to apply tan-1 to that.

Likes Meeeessttteeehh
haruspex said:
Isn't 3.0505 just the ratio of the sides? You need to apply tan-1 to that.

OH MY GOODESS. I just got the E 18 degrees N after drawing a million more triangles (more like 8 but still), but I can't believe I forgot the tan inverse. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

1. What is net force and how is it calculated?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by adding together all the individual forces acting on an object using vector addition.

2. How do I verify the accuracy of net force and vector calculations?

The accuracy of net force and vector calculations can be verified by using multiple methods, such as mathematical calculations, experimental measurements, and computer simulations. It is important to compare the results from these different methods to ensure accuracy.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities have only magnitude and no direction, such as distance or temperature. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement or velocity.

4. How do I represent vectors graphically?

Vectors can be represented graphically using arrows, where the length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector and the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the vector.

5. Can vectors be added or subtracted?

Yes, vectors can be added or subtracted using vector addition and subtraction. This involves breaking down the vectors into their components and then adding or subtracting the corresponding components to find the resulting vector.