Verification needed - Rollar Coaster

• Thread starter rkslperez04
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics problem involving a roller coaster on a horizontal track. The student provides their work and asks for confirmation on their answer of 10 m/s for the speed of the roller coaster after climbing the second hill. The expert suggests being more accurate with the answer and clarifies that the second hill is assumed to be 15m high.
rkslperez04
Bare with me guys as I enlist your help through this worksheet. I really want to get a good grade on this upcoming test and this worksheet is our study guide.

I think I have the hang off it but I want to make sure I am grasping the questions here.

A rollar coaster is traveling on a horizontal track at 20 m/s. What is its speed after climbing the second hill.

I understand this to be an Ei=Ef problem.

Here is my work:

1/2MVi^2 = 1/2MVf^2 + GH ( all the mass variables cancel out )
1/2(20)^2 = 1/2(Vf)^2 + (9.8)(15)
200 = 1/2(Vf)^2 + 147
53 = 1/2(Vf)^2
53*2 = Vf^2
106 = Vf^2
Sq rt 106 is 10 m/s = Vf

am I close? Please let me know.. I want the right answer but I also want to comperhend what's going with these. Just wanted you to know I am not looking for someone to do my work.. just nudge me along ;)

(got one for you too after this, also... a coeffencient of friction.. that one I will need someone to walk me through)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide the complete question when seeking help. Without having any info about "the second hill," we can't do much. One can only assume that it's peak is at a height of 15m above the horizontal track from your work. If that is so, your work is right. You may want to be a little more accurate with the final answer, though (to one or two decimal places).

LOL.. I thought the same thing about this question.. as with most..LOL

That was the entire question. You can see my fret over this problem..

With the decimals places I would say 10.0 instead of 10 ??

Looks good though??

rkslperez04 said:
LOL.. I thought the same thing about this question.. as with most..LOL

That was the entire question. You can see my fret over this problem..
So where did you get that 15 from?

With the decimals places I would say 10.0 instead of 10 ??

Looks good though??
I actually meant something like 10.2 or 10.29, which is a better approximation to sqrt(106) than 10 is.

ohh.. I see.. the second hill is 15m high.. i apolize for that.

Does my work look right?

1. What is "Verification needed" for a roller coaster?

"Verification needed" for a roller coaster refers to the process of ensuring that the ride is safe and structurally sound before it can be opened to the public. This involves rigorous testing and inspections by engineers and safety experts to ensure that all components of the ride are functioning properly and can withstand the stress of operation.

2. How long does the verification process typically take for a roller coaster?

The verification process for a roller coaster can vary depending on the complexity and size of the ride. It can take anywhere from a few weeks to several months to complete. Factors such as the availability of engineers and the thoroughness of testing can also affect the duration of the process.

3. What are some potential risks or issues that may be identified during the verification process?

During the verification process, engineers and safety experts may identify a variety of risks or issues that could impact the safety of the roller coaster. These may include structural weaknesses, malfunctioning safety mechanisms, inadequate clearance between riders and structures, or potential hazards in the ride's design. These issues must be addressed and resolved before the ride can be opened to the public.

4. Is the verification process the same for all roller coasters?

No, the verification process may vary depending on the type of roller coaster and its location. For example, a roller coaster located in a region prone to earthquakes may require additional tests and inspections to ensure its safety. Additionally, different countries may have different regulations and standards for verifying roller coasters.

5. How often does a roller coaster need to go through the verification process?

The verification process is typically conducted before a roller coaster is opened to the public for the first time. After that, most countries have regulations in place that require regular inspections and maintenance to ensure the ride's continued safety. This can range from daily inspections by ride operators to annual inspections by engineers and safety experts.