Calculating Force & Velocity of Friction

• Thread starter shin777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary: Good job!In summary, to pull a 10kg box across a floor with a coefficient of friction of .34, a force of 33N is needed. For the carts of a roller coaster traveling at 5 m/s over a 50m hill with no energy loss due to friction, the speed at the bottom of the hill will be 31.7 m/s.
shin777
1. What force is needed to pull a 10kg box across a floor that has a coefficient of friction of .34?

my answer
F = W * f * x
F = .34(10)(9.8) = 33N

2. The carts of a roller coaster are traveling 5 m/s over the top of the first hill. If there is no energy loss due to friction and the hill is 50m high, what speed will the carts have at the bottom of the hill?

my answer

(1/2)(Vi^2 + gh) = (1/2)(Vf^2)
(1/2)[(5^2)+9.8(50)] = (1/2)(Vf^2)
Vf = 31 m/s

do they look ok? if I am wrong please correct me. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
First part is OK.
shin777 said:
(1/2)(Vi^2 + gh) = (1/2)(Vf^2)
The equation is not correct. What is the expression for potential energy?
(1/2)[(5^2)+9.8(50)] = (1/2)(Vf^2)
Vf = 31 m/s
That answer does not follow from the equations you give, but it is close to the correct answer. Maybe you made a mistake in typing the equations in your post.

err.. yeah.. I think it should have been
Vi^2 + gh = (1/2)Vf^2
5^2 + 9.8(50) = (1/2)Vf^2
2(515) = Vf^2
Vf = 32 m/s

does it look ok now?

shin777 said:
err.. yeah.. I think it should have been
Vi^2 + gh = (1/2)Vf^2
You changed too much!
5^2 + 9.8(50) = (1/2)Vf^2
2(515) = Vf^2
Vf = 32 m/s

does it look ok now?
The answer is now correct to the accuracy quoted, but partly by luck. The 515 is too large.

my bad.. i got it now.
it's vf = ( 25 + 2(9.8)(50) ) ^ 1/2
vf = 1005^(1/2)
vf = 31.7 m/s

shin777 said:
my bad.. i got it now.
it's vf = ( 25 + 2(9.8)(50) ) ^ 1/2
vf = 1005^(1/2)
vf = 31.7 m/s

That's it.

Related to Calculating Force & Velocity of Friction

What is friction?

Friction is the force that opposes the motion of an object when it is in contact with another object. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of objects that come into contact with each other.

How is the force of friction calculated?

The force of friction can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a measure of how rough or smooth the surfaces are in contact, while the normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by the surface on the object.

What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the type of material the surfaces are made of. It is also affected by the relative motion between the two surfaces.

How is the velocity of friction calculated?

The velocity of friction can be calculated using the formula v = μg, where v is the velocity of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is used to calculate the speed at which an object will slide down a surface due to the force of friction.

Why is calculating force and velocity of friction important?

Calculating force and velocity of friction is important for understanding how objects move and interact with each other. It is also crucial in engineering and designing structures, as well as in predicting the behavior of objects in various environments.