1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Verify the commutation relations for x and p by definition.

1. Jun 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify ##\left[ x^{i} , p_{k}\right] = i \hbar \delta^{i}_{k}##

2. Relevant equations
    ## p_{j} = -i \hbar \partial_{j}##

3. The attempt at a solution

Writing it out i get
    $$ i \hbar \left( \partial_{k} x^{j} - x^{j} \partial_{k} \right)$$
    The Kronecker makes perfect sense, it's identically zero unless k=j. Assuming it does, I arrive at:
    $$ i \hbar \delta^{j}_{k} \left( \partial_{k} x^{j} - x^{j} \partial_{k} \right)$$

I assume I am missing something obvious, because most of the problem in this book are pretty straight forward, but this one's been a pain. I'm not doing any coursework, I already did my undergrad and am in limbo.

*Note Einstein convention is in use*
    cheers.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should apply the commutator to a test function f(xk) (which is shorthand for f(x1, x2, x3) because k is a free index) and work out what the partials do with it.

4. Jun 13, 2013 #3
    I don't follow, do you mean what the term in parenthesis becomes when i=J? (## 1- x \bullet \nabla##). The book's question specifically says verify the commutation relation using the definition of momentum given. Sorry, I should have been more precise maybe?

5. Jun 13, 2013 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I mean that "##(\partial_k x^j - x^j \partial_k)##" by itself does not make sense. You should consider a test function f and work out what
    $$(\partial_k x^j - x^j \partial_k)f$$
    is, taking into account things like the product (Leibniz) rule.

I assume that by "use the definition of momentum" they just mean you should use ## p_{j} = -i \hbar \partial_{j}## as you have already done.

6. Jun 15, 2013 #5
    I understand that it works, the problem comes from a chapter titled "Lie Groups and Lie Algebras", so I assumed it was something more fundamental. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted