1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertical acceleration due to car going over speed bump

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the vertical acceleration of a car going over a speed bump a foot wide and 4 inches tall.

2. Relevant equations
    Acceleration = dv/dt

3. The attempt at a solution
    http://imgur.com/55t2WCQ

I am getting an answer that is around 25*g
    I know this is way too much.
    neglecting the shocks on the car, what assumptions am I messing up that would allow me to do this problem correctly? This isn't homework, rather a small part of a larger project where I need the forces to do failure analysis.

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

attachment.php?attachmentid=58711&stc=1&d=1368514163.jpg
    Was that 20 mph speed given ?

Was anything else given, which you have not included here?

Attached Files:

4. May 14, 2013 #3
    Nothing was given other than the thing I am designing should be able to withstand the force of going over a speed bump. I originally had it at 30mph but my number was way higher so I lowered it hoping that would be my problem. I looked up online the higher end dimensions of a speed bump and got a smaller width of 1 foot and a height of no more than 4 inches. Thanks for the reply.

5. May 14, 2013 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  6. May 14, 2013 #5
    Yes, but speed bumps and speed humps are different. Also I was assuming I should use the bump where the force would be greatest. maybe I was going too high with 4'' but http://www.innoplast.com/sbs6.html was closer to what I was imagining going over.

7. May 14, 2013 #6
    r = (4² + ¼*12²)/2*4 =6.5
    Yes, but I see naught where you are going with this?

8. May 14, 2013 #7

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

9. May 14, 2013 #8

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I was going to work out the acceleration another way but the small radius caught my eye. If curved as per the original drawing it would have very steep sides - perhaps not as bad as a vertical kerb but still.

10. May 14, 2013 #9

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Article here suggests humps are typically designed to reduce speeds to 15mph where as bumps target around 5mph.

http://www.dmgov.org/Departments/Engineering/PDF/FAQ9_Speed_Bumps_and_Humps.pdf

11. May 14, 2013 #10
    Thanks. This has been helpful.

12. May 14, 2013 #11
    attachment.php?attachmentid=58728&stc=1&d=1368554212.jpg
    Fixed it and I got 5.4g as my maximum acceleration vertical. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

13. May 14, 2013 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sure, but acceleration of what? The tyres, certainly, but a bit less for the wheel as a whole and much less for the vehicle as a whole.
    Also, passenger discomfort is not just a matter of peak acceleration. It's a compound oscillator problem. With a short bump, a low speed can produce a much larger amplitude rise in the vehicle than a higher speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted