1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vertically polarized light from a hene laser passes through a linear

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Vertically polarized light from a helium neon laser passes through a linear polarizer with its axis of polarization oriented 15° from the vertical axis. Assuming no absorption or reflection:
    (a) What percentage of the light will be transmitted?
    (b) What will be the polarization angle of the transmitted light?

2. In question #1, if a second polarizer is placed in the beam after the first polarizer with its axis oriented at 45° from the vertical axis:
    (a) How much light is transmitted?
    (b) What will be the polarization angle of the transmitted light?

2. Relevant equations
    I believe that Malus's Law applies for Q1: I = Iocos^2 [itex]\theta[/itex]i

3. The attempt at a solution
    Q1(a+b): I = Io cos^2 (15°) = Io 0.9330 = 93.3% Io at 15°

Q2(a): Second polarizer uses same formula except that only 93.3% of incident light has gotten through resulting in following change:
    I = .933 Io cos^2 (45°) = .933 (0.5) Io = 0.4665 Io at 30° (45-15)

I don't have a lot of confidence in the answer to Q2.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What is the angle between the light and the polarizer for Q2? It is not 45° - this is the angle between polarizer orientation and vertical axis.

That is not the polarization direction after the polarizer.

4. Apr 13, 2014 #3
    If the light passes through the first polarizer at 15° and then passes through another polarizer at 45° to vertical, then is the effect cumulative? Would it then be 45° + 15° = 60° overall?

5. Apr 13, 2014 #4
    OK....I think I figured out some of this:
    A2: (a) I think the formula for both polarizers is: I = Io cos^2(15°) Io cos^2 (30°) which ends up to be I = 0.6998 Io or 69.98% (rounded)
    A2: (b) Still not quite sure how to figure out the polarization angle mathematically other than I'm pretty sure that the 45° polarizer results in quarter phase shift.

6. Apr 13, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Right.
    You do this way too complicated. It is a polarizer. What does a polarizer do?

7. Apr 14, 2014 #6
    Thank you for your help!

A polarizer, as I understand it, blocks/absorbs some light waves and orients the remaining light waves linearly (on a plane, actually, that diverges from the y-axis by θ) as it passes through the "picket fence" openings of the polarizer. If you have 2 polarizers oriented at 90° though, doesn't it block all light (back to Malus's Law-cos 90° = 0)?

Does that mean, in this example, that the resultant light after passing through the two polarizers is oriented at 45°?

8. Apr 14, 2014 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Yes to both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted