Very basic precal question about cotangent and tangent

• Thread starter Ghost803
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
In summary, to get the inverse cot-1(x), you need to do tan-1(1/x) and then add pi or 180 degrees, depending on whether you are using radians or degrees. This only applies to negative values of x, as the principal value for cot-1(x) is between 0 and pi. This is necessary because tan-1(1/x) will give a value less than 0, which is not a principal value for cot.
Ghost803
So, I just learned in class that to get inverse cot-1(x) I have to do tan-1(1/x). Then add either pi, or 180 depending on wheather we are using radians or degrees.

And I don't understand this. If x is cot, then when we do 1/x, shouldn't we get tan? And after than isn't it enough to just do tan-1(1/x) to get the answer? What is the point of adding that pi or 180 degrees?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ghost803 said:
So, I just learned in class that to get inverse cot-1(x) I have to do tan-1(1/x). Then add either pi, or 180 depending on wheather we are using radians or degrees.

And I don't understand this. If x is cot, then when we do 1/x, shouldn't we get tan? And after than isn't it enough to just do tan-1(1/x) to get the answer? What is the point of adding that pi or 180 degrees?

Hi Ghost803! :smile:

That only applies to negative values of x.

It all depends on the definition of principal value.

For tan, the principal value is between ± π/2 (because tan = ±∞ at ±π/2)

but for cot, the principal value is between 0 and π (because cot = ±∞ at 0 and π).

(see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_trigonometric_functions)

So for cot-1(x) for negative x, tan-1(1/x) would be < 0, which is not a principal value for cot, so you have to add π :wink:

1. What is cotangent and tangent?

Cotangent and tangent are two trigonometric functions that are used to calculate the ratios of sides in a right triangle. Cotangent is the ratio of the adjacent side to the opposite side, while tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

2. How are cotangent and tangent related?

Cotangent and tangent are inverse functions of each other. This means that the value of cotangent is equal to the reciprocal of the value of tangent, and vice versa. In other words, cotangent is the inverse of tangent, and tangent is the inverse of cotangent.

3. How do you solve for cotangent and tangent?

To solve for cotangent and tangent, you will need to know the values of the opposite and adjacent sides of a right triangle. You can then use a calculator or trigonometric tables to find the ratios of these sides. Alternatively, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the missing side and then use the ratios to solve for cotangent and tangent.

4. What are some real-life applications of cotangent and tangent?

Cotangent and tangent are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. In engineering, they are used to calculate the angles and forces in structures, while in physics, they are used to analyze the motion of objects. In astronomy, they are used to determine the positions and distances of celestial bodies.

5. Can you explain the unit circle in relation to cotangent and tangent?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate system. The values of cotangent and tangent can be derived from the coordinates of points on the unit circle. For example, the cotangent of an angle is equal to the x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle, while the tangent of an angle is equal to the y-coordinate of the same point.