1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very confusing question about transformer

1. Dec 9, 2016 #1
    • ★★ members are requested to crop images so that only that content essential to the thread is posted ★★
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    img049.jpg img050.jpg

2. Relevant equations
    Please review the question and answer of question 34.

3. The attempt at a solution
    1.Why does the answer take the rated power as the power output?
    2.I tried to find the current like this:
    R=200^2 / 100 = 400 ohm
    I at Q = 400/[2(400)] = 0.5 A
    I at P = 0.5/2 = 0.25 A
    3. As the approach as shown as (2) is wrong. Either V is not equal to IR in the circuit Q or the secondary voltage is not 400/2 = 200V.
    4. As question 36 used a similar method as (2), V should be equal IR. So the only possibility is Vq not equal to Vp [Nq/Np].
    5. However as the change of magnetic flux is the same everywhere in the iron core. By V=-NdΦ/dt.
    Vp=- Np dΦ/dt....(a)
    Vq=- Nq dΦ/dt....(b)
    Vr=- Nr dΦ/dt....(c)
    by (b)/(a)
    Vq = Vp [Nq/Np]
    6. So please tell me what's wrong. Thank you VERY much.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2016 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

The power rating of the load is nothing but the power consumed when operating at rated voltage. The rated voltage is 200V and secondary voltage happens to be 200V (because of the turns ratio). Hence, the load consumes the rated power.

4. Dec 9, 2016 #3
    Oh I see. As you have introduce magnetomotive force before, although Vq = Vp Nq/Np ,however Np Ip = Nq Iq + Nr Ir ,therefore 2Ip = Iq + Ir, so Ip = Iq Am I right?

5. Dec 9, 2016 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes.
    Could you elaborate? Why do you think the secondary voltage is not 200V?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted