Very easy torque question which I can't solve

• Thread starter amrmohammed
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the conversation is about a torque question that the person cannot solve. They are confused about the concept of an object rotating around its own axis and how it relates to unequal forces acting on the object. The sample answer states that the object will rotate around its own axis after calculating the net torque. The person also asks if the object should rotate around a point away from its origin. The conversation ends with the clarification that the object will rotate around its own axis, which moves with the object, and the object will also move away from its initial position.
amrmohammed
very easy torque question which I can't solve :)

Hello everyone,

I am confused about some torque problem and I would really appreciated if someone help me with it. The question should be quite easy, but the sample answer doesn't make sense to me.

Two unequal forces acting on an object in the same direction, will the object rotate around it's axis or not?

the sample answer said that the object will rotate around its axis(after calculating the net toque), but how is that? isn't it should rotate around a point away from its origin?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

The answer is true in the book. The rod will rotate around IT"S OWN AXIS.
The rod's axis moves with the rod.(the axis ofcourse is decided after the calculations).

And yes, the rod moves away from it's initial position.

thank you :)

glad to help :smile:

for bringing this question to our attention. Torque is a fundamental concept in physics and can sometimes be confusing. In order to answer your question, we need to consider the definition of torque and the conditions for rotational equilibrium.

Torque is defined as the product of the force applied and the distance from the point of rotation. In this case, we have two unequal forces acting on the object in the same direction. This means that the net torque acting on the object is not equal to zero, which is the condition for rotational equilibrium. Therefore, the object will indeed rotate around its axis.

It is important to note that the point of rotation or axis of rotation can be anywhere on the object, not just at its origin. In this case, the object will rotate around its axis of rotation, which may be located away from its origin.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the concept of torque and how it applies to this problem. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep exploring and challenging yourself with these types of problems, as they will help strengthen your understanding of physics.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the twisting or rotational force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by its distance from the point of rotation.

2. How is torque calculated?

To calculate torque, you need to know the force applied to an object and the distance between the force and the pivot point. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the unit of measurement for torque?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). These units represent the amount of force applied to an object at a certain distance from the point of rotation.

4. How does torque affect an object's rotation?

The greater the torque applied to an object, the greater its rotational acceleration will be. This means that a larger torque will cause an object to rotate faster.

5. What are some real-world applications of torque?

Torque is used in many everyday applications, such as opening a jar, tightening a bolt, and riding a bike. It is also important in more complex systems, such as engines, where torque is used to power rotation and movement.