Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Very hard modelling and problem solving Calculus Question!

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    A light-weight "pop-up" tent consists of six flexible plastic struts that are inserted into pockets sewn into the joins of the fabric panels. The resulting shape has hexagonal horizontal cross-sections, while vertical cross-sections through the centre are semi-circular.

Derive a formula for the volume of the tent as a function of its height.

How do i do it? I tried doing a symmetrical trapezium on the graph and revolved it around half way to get the tent look, not a sphere, but the top part (the roof of the tent) was in the shape of a trapezium (shaped like a diamond? like theres edges), not half a sphere like it should be, and the base being a hexagon. If you can imagine it? Anyways, need help!

Attached is the question and the picture of the tent.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you use a volume integral?

It is sufficient to consider 1/6 or 1/12 of the tent, of course.

The result looks very nice.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    You can avoid explicit volume integration if you're clever (and get it right, which perhaps I haven't):

Note that the base of a 1/6 of the tent is an equilateral triangle, sides of length [itex]l [/itex] (which is h at its maximum), and area[itex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}l [/itex]. http://gyazo.com/6ce4bd547e7a5a47fc89a45ad586f79b Note that
    [tex]l^2+x^2=h^2 [/tex]
    [tex]l=\sqrt{h^2-x^2} [/tex]

[tex] \int_{x=0}^{x=h}\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}ldx=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\int_{x=0}^{x=h}\sqrt{h^2-x^2}dx[/tex]
    Integrate:
    [tex]x=h \cos(u)[/tex]
    [tex]dx=-h \sin(u)du[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3}}{4}\int_{x=0}^{x=h}\sqrt{h^2-h^2 \cos^2(u)}(-h \sin(u))du=\frac{-h^2 \sqrt{3}}{4}\int_{x=0}^{x=h}(\sin^2(u) )du[/tex]
    [tex]x=h, u=0[/tex]
    [tex]x=0, u=\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{h^2 \sqrt{3}}{4}\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}(\sin^2(u) )du=\frac{h^2 \sqrt{3}}{4}\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]

Multiply by 6 for the whole thing.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. Mar 11, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Well, two parts of the volume integral are trivial, so you just have to calculate an easy 1-dimensional integral there as well.

I think there is an ##l## missing in your formula of the triangle area.
    I used a different coordinate for the non-trivial integral.

6. Mar 11, 2013 #5
    You're right- the integral is much simpler, just a polynomial.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook