Very Important Question Regarding Embroidery and Magnifying glass

• Thread starter core1985
  • Start date
I want to ask that if i use light head magnifying glass is it safe? For embroidery or an idea came to my mind that why not I use Webcam and a big display like 23 inch and then focus webcam on my embroidery and see on my LCD I have also reflector glasses to avoid eye strain totally ??? . Because in Indian embroidery there are many chances of eye strain and have long-sightedness

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
It depends on the quality of the magnifier assembly. I've had good luck with the Magnavisor for simple work related magnification, but the gold standard at my work is quality binocular microscopes.

A USB magnifier will be safer for your eye alignment, IMO, but will not provide you with the 3-D binocular perspective that is needed for some magnification work.

Safety First ##-## except when I'm awake and right there next to them, I hide my lab-bench lenses from the sun (my labs are upstairs and the rooms there have windows) ##-## I don't want a refraction to cause a fire to be started by accident.

For a basic magnifier for fabric work, your phone's camera is probably good, but maybe you'll want a mounting apparatus to hold it steady.

Last edited:
For embroidery or an idea came to my mind that why not I use Webcam and a big display...
Well, it's not embroidery but fine electronics, but this webcam-and-monitor thing was not really good. Just to look it's OK, but for fine work the delay got on my nerves really fast.

I also found head lupes rather constrictive and inconvenient.

My preferences are those big magnifying glass stands with inbuilt light.

Ps.: or for the really fine work binocular microscopes with magnification around 5-10-20X

Last edited: