Very simple fraction simplification

• Thread starter smulc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fraction
In summary, the expression 3p-3q/5p-5q can be simplified to 3/5 by factoring out a common factor of 3 in the numerator and 5 in the denominator. This can also be seen by using the distributive law. This is the correct answer, as opposed to the incorrect answer of 1 that was initially suggested.
smulc
I feel stupid asking this, but I just can't see it. I need to simply this and I already know the answer, but I don't know why this is the answer.

simplify

3p-3q
5p-5q

My first reaction was to remove a factor of p-q but that would leave

p-q(3-3)
p-q(5-5)

Which would be 0/0. I know the answer is 3/5 but I just can't see why.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can factor out p-q top and bottom, but your end result is not quite right. If you try to use the distributive law here, that is a(b+c) = ab + ac, this might help you see your error.

smulc said:
I feel stupid asking this, but I just can't see it. I need to simply this and I already know the answer, but I don't know why this is the answer.

simplify

3p-3q
5p-5q

My first reaction was to remove a factor of p-q but that would leave

p-q(3-3)
p-q(5-5)
The above is incorrect, and simplifies to 1, assuming p ≠ 0. This is based on what you wrote, which might not be what you intended.

The simplest way to go would be to notice that 3 is a factor of the terms in the numerator, and that 5 is a factor of the terms in the denominator. The original expression can be written like so:
$$ \frac {3(p - q)}{5(p - q)}$$
Of course, this can be simplified further.
smulc said:
Which would be 0/0. I know the answer is 3/5 but I just can't see why.

That makes perfect sense now. Thanks for explaining it.

What is a fraction?

A fraction represents a part of a whole. It has two parts, the numerator (top number) and the denominator (bottom number), separated by a line. The numerator tells us how many parts we have, and the denominator tells us how many equal parts make up a whole.

How do you simplify a fraction?

To simplify a fraction, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. Then, divide both numbers by the GCF to get the simplified fraction. The simplified fraction will have the same value as the original fraction, but it will be easier to work with.

What is the greatest common factor (GCF)?

The greatest common factor (GCF) is the largest number that can evenly divide into both the numerator and denominator of a fraction. It is also known as the greatest common divisor (GCD) or highest common factor (HCF).

Why is it important to simplify fractions?

Simplifying fractions makes them easier to work with, as they have smaller numbers and are in their simplest form. It also helps us to compare fractions and perform operations on them, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

What is the difference between simplifying and reducing a fraction?

Simplifying and reducing a fraction are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Simplifying a fraction involves finding the GCF and dividing both the numerator and denominator by it. Reducing a fraction involves dividing both the numerator and denominator by any common factors until there are no more common factors left.