Very Simple Uniform Circular Motion Derivation

In summary, the conversation is about deriving the formula a = \frac{4\pi^2R}{T^2} or a = 4\pi^2Rf^2, which both represent acceleration. The formula is derived from the equation a = \frac{v^2}{r}, which uses the sphere formula. The conversation also includes a clarification that T and f represent the same thing, inverse frequency. The final part of the conversation involves someone realizing the solution to the problem and feeling silly for not realizing it earlier.
planauts

Homework Statement

This is a very easy derivation (I think), I forgot how to do it though.

How do you derive [tex]a = \frac{4\pi^2R}{T^2}[/tex] or [tex]a = 4\pi^2Rf^2[/tex]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

They both mean the same thing since T is Inverse Frequency but I don't understand how it is derived from [tex]a = \frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]. I know it uses the Sphere formula...

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if a particle went around a circle of radius R in time T, what would its speed be?

Wow, I feel very stupid now lol.

[tex]\frac{(\frac{2\pi r}{T})^2}{r}[/tex]

Thanks,

1. What is Uniform Circular Motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object's velocity remains constant, but its direction changes continuously, resulting in a circular motion.

2. How is Velocity Calculated in Uniform Circular Motion?

In uniform circular motion, the velocity can be calculated using the formula v = 2πr/T, where v is the velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and T is the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution.

3. What is Centripetal Force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object in circular motion. It is always directed towards the center of the circular path and is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity divided by the radius of the circular path, or F = mv²/r.

4. How is Centripetal Force Related to Uniform Circular Motion?

In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is responsible for continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity so that it remains in a circular path. Without centripetal force, the object would move in a straight line instead of a circle.

5. What is the Difference Between Uniform Circular Motion and Non-Uniform Circular Motion?

The main difference between uniform and non-uniform circular motion is in the object's speed. In uniform circular motion, the speed remains constant, while in non-uniform circular motion, the speed changes at different points along the circular path. This means that the velocity in non-uniform circular motion is not constant, unlike in uniform circular motion.