Simple Harmonic Motion derivation

In summary, Hookes Law states that the force on an object is proportional to the mass and the acceleration of the object. However, in order to find the sinusoidal expression for this law, the author must cheat by introducing new terms such as Omega or Omega^2. However, by solving for the m and d2x/dt^2, the author is able to find the cosine and sine of theta, which leads to the equation for the force.
Sclerostin

Homework Statement

Hookes Law gives: F = -kx. This is SHM. But I cannot see how to get to the sinusoidal expression from this. (In all the explanations, they cheat, and just introduce de novo Omega or Omega^2.)
But how do you get to m. d2x/dt^2 = -x.(omega) ^2

Homework Equations

F = -kx.
m. d2x/dt^2 = -x.(omega) ^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sclerostin said:

Homework Statement

Hookes Law gives: F = -kx. This is SHM. But I cannot see how to get to the sinusoidal expression from this. (In all the explanations, they cheat, and just introduce de novo Omega or Omega^2.)
But how do you get to m. d2x/dt^2 = -x.(omega) ^2

Homework Equations

F = -kx.
m. d2x/dt^2 = -x.(omega) ^2

The Attempt at a Solution

You do know that force = mass x acceleration, right? So you have ##F = ma = -kx## where ##a = \frac {d^2x}{dt^2}##. Put these together to get ##\frac {d^2x}{dt^2} +\frac k m x = 0##, which is the sine-cosine equation. Is that what is bothering you?

Thanks ++. That is exactly what is bothering me. But I am still not getting it!
Show me how to get from your last equation to the sine-cosine format.
I must have forgotten my derivations because its 3rd sentence where I get stuck. If you integrate I can't see where a Cos term appears.

Last edited:
Sclerostin said:
Thanks. That is exactly what is bothering me. But I am still not getting it!
Show me how to get from your last equation to the sine-cosine format.
I must have forgotten my derivations because its 2nd sentence where I get stuck. If you integrate I can't see where a Cos term appears.
The equation ##x'' + ax = 0## where ##a>0## is a constant coefficient equation. The standard way to solve such an equation is to try a solution ##x = e^{rt}##. This leads to the characteristic equation ##r^2 + a = 0## with roots ##r = \pm \sqrt a i## and a fundamental pair of solution ##\{e^{i\sqrt a t}, e^{-i\sqrt a t}\}##, or the easier to work with pair ##\{ \sin \sqrt a t,\cos \sqrt a t\}##. Even better, since ##a > 0## let's call ##a =\omega^2## giving ##\{ \sin \omega t,\cos \omega t\}##. In your case ##\omega = \sqrt \frac k m##. You can find this in any reference to constant coefficient DE's.

Likes Delta2 and Sclerostin
Did you try differentiating ##\cos(\omega t)## twice to see what comes out?

Thank you, LCKurtz. I can work with your explanation. I have forgotten my maths, many years. So it helps to "know" some other relationships, allowing things to fall into place.

Just saying things like "call the constant ω^2" is (from my point of view) assuming what you are trying to prove. And that's what I kept seeing.

So fine, thanks!

Sclerostin said:
Thank you, LCKurtz. I can work with your explanation. I have forgotten my maths, many years. So it helps to "know" some other relationships, allowing things to fall into place.

Just saying things like "call the constant ω^2" is (from my point of view) assuming what you are trying to prove. And that's what I kept seeing.

So fine, thanks!

There's a difference between assuming what you are trying to prove and guessing a solution and then proving that it is indeed a solution to your equation. The latter approach is common in integration and differential equations.

Sclerostin said:
You are welcome. Just to elaborate on the above, for ##x''+ \frac k m x=0## you get terms like ##\sin\sqrt {\frac k m }t##. Remember that in ##\sin(bt)## the angular frequency ##\omega## is ##b##. In this case ##\omega = b =\sqrt{\frac k m}## and so ##\omega^2=\frac k m##. So we aren't just calling it that for no reason.

Likes Sclerostin
PeroK said:
There's a difference between assuming what you are trying to prove and guessing a solution and then proving that it is indeed a solution to your equation. The latter approach is common in integration and differential equations.

I almost agree: but you aren't guessing. With background knowledge, you are making an informed try. I will accept that (for those with their maths relationships alive) what I was seeing wasn't guessing. But for me, it wasn't clear.

Its not a trivial derivation, as it turns out. No wonder I didn't get it!

PeroK said:
I like the photo. Not Ama Dablam, is it?

Sclerostin said:
I like the photo. Not Ama Dablam, is it?

Yes, it's Ama Dablam.

Likes Sclerostin
LCKurtz said:
You are welcome. Just to elaborate on the above, for ##x''+ \frac k m x=0## you get terms like ##\sin\sqrt {\frac k m }t##. Remember that in ##\sin(bt)## the angular frequency ##\omega## is ##b##. In this case ##\omega = b =\sqrt{\frac k m}## and so ##\omega^2=\frac k m##. So we aren't just calling it that for no reason.
I have deliberately waited before adding this:
In the initial equation, the trick, of course, is that the second derivative of x equals another f(x). So this suggests that x equals either a cos function, or an exponential function. So we get to your answer which you knew instantly!
Thanks again!

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

SHM is the repetitive back and forth motion of an object about an equilibrium position, caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement of the object.

2. How is SHM derived?

SHM can be derived using Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. This leads to the equation F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

3. What is the equation for SHM?

The equation for SHM is x = A cos(ωt + φ), where x is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

4. What is the relationship between period and frequency in SHM?

The period of SHM is the time it takes for one complete cycle of motion, while the frequency is the number of cycles per second. The relationship between period and frequency is T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

5. What is the importance of SHM in science and engineering?

SHM is an important concept in science and engineering as it helps to explain and predict the behavior of many physical systems, such as pendulums, springs, and vibrating objects. It is also used in the design and analysis of structures and machines to ensure their stability and functionality.