Very strange question for derivative

In summary, the problem asks to find the slope of the tangent at the point where x=a. A is an x value, and it can be treated as any number. The problem does not specify what a is, so we can use any number in place of a to find the slope of the tangent.
peacemaster

Homework Statement

The question in it's complete wording:

Consider the following curve.
y = 8 + 5x2 - 2x3.

Find the slope of the tangent to the curve at the point where x = a.

Homework Equations

(y2-y1)/(x2-x1) where x2=x1+dx and the limit of dx is approaching zero and y2=f(x+dx).

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this is the really hard part because they don't tell you what a is. Basically, this is a curve and they say find the slope of the tangent at the point where x=a, but that point could be anywhere on the entire curve.

Don't worry, I didn't misread the question. There isn't any info lingering elsewhere. A is not defined anywhere in the problem.

So my question is... what gives? Am I missing something here?

Thank you so much for any help,

Peacemaster

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
peacemaster said:

Homework Statement

The question in it's complete wording:

Consider the following curve.
y = 8 + 5x2 - 2x3.
Better notation: y= 8+ 5x^2- 2x^3. Even better is to use "LaTex": [itex]y= 8+ 5x^2- 2x^3[/itex]

Find the slope of the tangent to the curve at the point where x = a.

Homework Equations

(y2-y1)/(x2-x1) where x2=x1+dx and the limit of dx is approaching zero and y2=f(x+dx).

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, this is the really hard part because they don't tell you what a is. Basically, this is a curve and they say find the slope of the tangent at point a, but point a could be anywhere on the entire curve.

Don't worry, I didn't misread the question. There isn't any info lingering elsewhere. A is not defined anywhere in the problem.

So my question is... what gives? Am I missing something here?

Thank you so much for any help,

Peacemaster
You have written two contradictory things. You say "at the point where x = a" and then, later, "find the slope of the tangent at point a". Is "a" a number or a point?

If a is a number, "x= a", then I don't see what the difficulty is. If the problem had said "at the point where x= 0" or "at the point where x= 2" what would you have done? Whatever you do with "0" or "2", do the same with "a".

Wow, good catch. I didn't realize the contradiction. The way I stated the problem is all the info given to me by the question.

The problem asks to find the slope of the tangent at the point where x=a. A is an x value, not a point. The problem does not tell me what a is.

I will edit the original post to reflect the clarification.

What would you do with the problem the way I originally posted it?

Thanks,

Peacemaster

peacemaster said:
Wow, good catch. I didn't realize the contradiction. The way I stated the problem is all the info given to me by the question.

The problem asks to find the slope of the tangent at the point where x=a. A is an x value, not a point. The problem does not tell me what a is.

I will edit the original post to reflect the clarification.

What would you do with the problem the way I originally posted it?

Thanks,

Peacemaster

You can treat a as any number. As HallsofIvy has already pointed out.

HallsofIvy said:
If the problem had said "at the point where x= 0" or "at the point where x= 2" what would you have done? Whatever you do with "0" or "2", do the same with "a".

a can be 0, 2, 3, or 1/3, blah blah blah. It does not matter, you just think of a as some number that you don't know, or maybe don't need to know.

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe the rate of change of a function. It measures how much a function changes in response to a small change in its input variable.

2. How is a derivative calculated?

The derivative of a function can be calculated using the limit definition, which involves taking the limit of the slope of a secant line as the two points on the function get closer together. Alternatively, derivatives can also be found using differentiation rules, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

3. What is the purpose of finding a derivative?

Finding a derivative allows us to understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change. It has many practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering, where we need to analyze how quantities change over time.

4. Can a derivative be negative?

Yes, a derivative can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that point, or that the rate of change is negative. In other words, as the input variable increases, the output of the function decreases.

5. What is the connection between derivatives and graphs?

The derivative of a function at a specific point is equal to the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at that point. This means that the derivative can be used to find the slope of a curve at any point, and therefore, understand the behavior of the function on a graph.