What is the interval for a so that the given line is normal to the hyperbola?

• Thread starter Tanishq Nandan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary: I'm sorry for the confusion.In summary, the problem is to find the interval for a so that the equation (3-a)x+ay+(a^2-1)=0 is normal to the curve xy=4. The solution involves using the formula for finding the slope of a curve at a given point and the formula for determining if two curves intersect orthogonally. However, the resulting equation for a does not have a simple algebraic solution and only provides isolated points as solutions. The given answer is the interval R-[0,3], but this does not seem to match the graphical approach.
Tanishq Nandan

Homework Statement

Find the interval for a so that (3-a)x+ay+(a^2-1)=0 is normal to the curve xy=4

Homework Equations

If two curves intersect each other orthogonally (at right angles)
m1×m2=-1
Slope of a curve y=f(x) at a point(x1,y1) is equal to value of (dy/dx) at x1,y1

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply applied the two formulas stated above.If the given line is normal to the hyperbola,then that means they must intersect orthogonally,i.e we can use the first formula stated above,
finding m1 and m2 from the second formula stated above.
Now,the slope for the line is coming constant (1 - 3/a)
And the slope for the hyperbola is coming (-y1/x1),where x1 and y1 are the points of intersection of the line and the hyperbola.
Now,I can solve the two equations to find x1 and y1 in terms of a and hence,find m2 in terms of a, and then apply m1×m2=-1,but before doing that I noticed that whatever I do,I'm going to be solving an equation,not an inequality,so it will give me nothing but discrete values of a,whereas the question asks for the interval of a.
Hence,my problem..
Is there any other formula I'm missing??

Physics news on Phys.org
The best I can tell, you get isolated points ## a ## for a solution, and the equation for ## a ## doesn't look very simple algebraically.

Charles Link said:
you get isolated points aa a for a solution
Umm..the answer given is:R-[0,3]
And,it isn't simple algebraically,so are you suggesting a graphical approach?
because I tried that but found out that I was even more helpless there.Here,at least I know what I have to do.

Suggestion: Try the point ## a=1 ##. That makes ## 2x+y=1 ## so that ## y=-2x ##. That line doesn't even intersect the curve ## xy=4 ##. ## \\ ## It would appear there is an error somewhere=it does happen on occasion.

Okk

1. What is calculus used for?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that is used to study and analyze change. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, accumulation, and optimization.

2. How is calculus different from other branches of mathematics?

Calculus is different from other branches of mathematics because it focuses on the concept of change. It involves techniques and methods for finding derivatives and integrals to solve problems related to change.

3. Do I need to know calculus to use it in real life?

While it may not be necessary for everyday tasks, calculus is used in many fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can also be useful for understanding concepts in computer science and data science.

4. Is calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging for some people, but with practice and determination, it can be understood and applied effectively. It is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry before learning calculus.

5. How can I improve my understanding and skills in calculus?

To improve your understanding and skills in calculus, it is important to practice solving problems and work through examples. It can also be helpful to seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, or a tutor for extra support.