1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Video object tracking: ping-pong balls

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    I'm interested in determining the trajectory and spin of a ping-pong ball for a project for class. I plan on getting a decent resolution video camera and record the ball (with the camera stationary). Afterward, I'll analyze the video on my computer.

My question is: what kind of algorithm can I get more (detailed) information about so I can go about implementing it myself? What kind of things should I search for to find more information? I have a lot of experience programming (in script languages though), so I think I can pull it off. I realize it's not an easy task though. (and it's really not a big deal if I can't get it to work).

I think if I color the ball a really distinctive and bright color (and do some sort of striping to be able to analyze its spin), it wouldn't be terribly hard to do. I can probably do it a brute-force and slow way by analyzing frame-by-frame and comparing it with previous ones, but I'd like some suggestions before I start hacking away at it.

I also reckon I'll have to figure out how to implement some basic depth perception, but I think that can be determined from knowing the (x,y) coordinates on frame and the apparent size of the ball. Then with some calibration based on my video camera placement, I can approximate its coordinates in three dimensions.

(I wasn't sure which forum to place this in exactly.)

edit: Hrm, I just found a library for computer vision, opencv, which looks like it'll be useful for this.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2
    One, this should be in technology.
    Two, you could get a macro (AutoHotKey is great and free) and have it do it the slow way. Logger Pro may have a setup to do it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?