Video recording help, read details

• Thread starter maggiemay
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Video
In summary, the person is trying to make a helmet cam for snowboarding and has a few small cameras to use, including a ps2 eye-toy and a labeled "pc 166 xs" camera. They have two questions, one regarding the 4 wires on the small camera's cable and how to determine which are power and video input/outputs. Their second question is how to make the cameras record and save video, with a variety of electronic components and dismantled digital cameras and sd cards for memory, as well as a basic stamp. They are new to electronics and would appreciate any information or help with their project.
maggiemay
I'm trying to make a helmet cam for when i go snowboarding, i have a few small cameras to use, ps2 eye-toys and a small one labeled "pc 166 xs ".

my first question is regarding the small camera, its cable has 4 wires (2 black, red, blue) and I am not sure which are power and which are video input/outputs. how can i find out?

my second question is how can i make these cameras record and save video?
i have a variety of electronic components to work with as well as a few dismantled digital cameras and sd cards for memory, i also have a basic stamp.

im new to electronics so any info on any of this would be very helpful

Engineering news on Phys.org
maggiemay said:
I'm trying to make a helmet cam for when i go snowboarding, i have a few small cameras to use, ps2 eye-toys and a small one labeled "pc 166 xs ".

my first question is regarding the small camera, its cable has 4 wires (2 black, red, blue) and I am not sure which are power and which are video input/outputs. how can i find out?

Hi maggiemay, http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif

Perhaps have a look online at similar cameras, maybe there is a standard color convention for the leads? Are you able to see any of the electronics in the camera, to maybe see what the different colors connect to? Post a pic if you can. Beyond this, I'm afraid I'm no help.

I wish you well with your project.
http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/4666/holly1756.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I choose the right camera for video recording?

When choosing a camera for video recording, consider the type of videos you will be filming, your budget, and the features you need. Look for cameras with good video resolution, image stabilization, and a microphone input for better audio quality.

2. What are the best settings for video recording?

The best settings for video recording will depend on your camera and the environment you are filming in. Generally, a frame rate of 24 or 30 frames per second, and a shutter speed of 1/50 or 1/60 will provide smooth and natural-looking footage. It is also important to adjust the aperture and ISO to get the right exposure.

3. How can I improve the lighting for my video recordings?

Lighting is crucial for high-quality video recordings. Natural light is always the best option, but if you're filming indoors, make sure to use soft lighting sources such as diffused LED lights or softboxes. Avoid harsh overhead lighting or shadows on the subject's face.

4. How can I ensure good audio quality in my video recordings?

Good audio is just as important as good video quality. Invest in an external microphone that can be attached to your camera or a separate audio recorder. Make sure to test the audio levels before filming and use a windscreen if you will be filming outdoors.

5. What software should I use for editing my video recordings?

There are many software options for video editing, such as Adobe Premiere, Final Cut Pro, and iMovie. Choose one that suits your budget and level of expertise. It is also helpful to watch tutorials or take a class to learn how to use the software effectively.