Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Violent video games make you can you guess?

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    I read, some time ago, a research unveiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) that claims video game players were more likely to be overweight, depressed and introverted.

but this article says: Violent video games 'make you smarter'

Does this surprise you? Well, it did surprise me.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2
    I agree.

I also think it develops quick-thinking strategy styles. It teaches you to predict, not to react.

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    I play violent video games and I'm a genius so it must be true.

5. Apr 28, 2010 #4
    This made my day.

6. May 5, 2010 #5

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

X2, GTA IV is one of my favorites by far.

7. May 5, 2010 #6
    GTA is OK, but Battlefield Bad Company 2 is where its at.

8. May 5, 2010 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, I can see it now a nation full of smart couch potatoes. If needed the army can come in with wheel barrows and cart them off to command centers where they are dumped on to couches with Mt Dew piped in. They could keep remote controlled battles going for days on end.

9. May 5, 2010 #8
    [PLAIN]http://media.strategywiki.org/images/b/bd/Starcraft_Terran_Command_Center.jpg [Broken]

Command centre's are where it's at! But seriously video games with many functions such as WoW and whatnot and all the characteristics in that game that you have to calculate do stimulate your brain (to a certain degree).

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  10. May 5, 2010 #9
    Couch potatoes? Please.... Real video gamer don't play games on councils, they play on PCs in chairs.

11. May 5, 2010 #10

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That finding doesn't contradict the CDC research. As with many things, the problems come if you are obsessive about them.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook