Virtual Particles and nothingness

• B
  • Thread starter AnimaLife
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

According to what I have read and watched (I am new to the subject) the empty space is actually full of temporary virtual particulars that spontaneously and continuously emerge from nowhere and then disappear from the nothingness again but from where comes so much energy for so much creation of matter spontaneous?

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

According to what I have read and watched (I am new to the subject) the empty space is actually full of temporary virtual particulars that spontaneously and continuously emerge from nowhere and then disappear from the nothingness again but from where comes so much energy for so much creation of matter spontaneous?
I seems you have some basic misunderstandings here, probably caused by light weight pop science. Here is an article about it, which should answer most of your questions: https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/misconceptions-virtual-particles/

A forum search for "virtual, particles" should also result in plenty of existing threads you could read.

Likes bhobba
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I wouldn't say they come from 'nowhere' and then disappear into 'nothingness'. They exist as fluctuations in the underlying quantum fields that extend throughout space. Here's a good link for more information on virtual particles: https://profmattstrassler.com/artic...ysics-basics/virtual-particles-what-are-they/

I HIGHLY recommend reading the entire series on particle physics basics as well, otherwise the above information may not make much sense.

@Drakkith Thanks for the link - very clear stuff.