Visit to The National Gem and Crystal Expo, Windsor, NSW, Australia
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Discussion
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Is this a "masks are optional" meeting?
I did notice people are socially distancing from the rocks and that the rocks are protected from the crowd since they know that any Covid needle will break should a given rock decide to get a vaccine.
Any meteorite fragments?
I did notice people are socially distancing from the rocks and that the rocks are protected from the crowd since they know that any Covid needle will break should a given rock decide to get a vaccine.
Any meteorite fragments?
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
Masks are, for the last ~ 1.5 months, optional.jedishrfu said:Is this a "masks are optional" meeting?
I did notice people are socially distancing from the rocks and that the rocks are protected from the crowd since they know that any Covid needle will break should a given rock decide to get a vaccine.
Any meteorite fragments?
infection rates are extremely low. one or 2 infections every couple of weeks.
we do our best to social distance, but even that has relaxed substantially.
The rare new infections are usually from within quarantine staff or airport staff
and they are isolated very quickly and the follow up contract tracing is done quickly.
Church services and sports crowds etc have been back on over last few weeks and
slowing getting towards full capacities.
Life isn't back to the "old" normal, that may or may not ever happen ? But for the most part,
it's life, work, etc as usual. Many, like my wife, still work from home and just do week here
and there at the office. It depends on the individual business and what they want to do.
There were an assortment of meteorites and tektites/impactites.
I bought a bunch of tektites, mainly for samples to give to kids who show interest
in such thing. A little bit of prompting with the occasional meteorite and tektite
I didnt buy any of the meteorites that were on display, already had them in my collection
cheers
Dave
PS ... just wanting to get home from this hospital bed ... a very infected and swollen lower left leg
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
Nice, Dave. We have a rock show in mid January in Quartzite Az, about 12 hours drive from Austin that is quite large. Its held in dusty tents. We went with friends about 10 years ago and got quite a haul of quartz crystal prisms and amesite geode half shells. A lot of the rocks are shipped wholesale from places in South America.
https://www.gemsociety.org/article/view-quartzsite-gem-shows/
Quartzite is one of those trailer towns where folks go to escape the snow in other parts of the US so that it booms in January and then everyone is gone in the summer months because of the extreme Arizona heat, in excess of 120 degrees Fahrenheit on some days where you feel you being baked by heat in the air and radiated from the ground.
Hope your leg is feeling better. I've had issues with my right knee (torn meniscus) that still torments me everyday then goes away then comes back. I haven't figured out the trigger yet. It might be work so I'm retiring this month to test the theory. :-)
https://www.gemsociety.org/article/view-quartzsite-gem-shows/
Quartzite is one of those trailer towns where folks go to escape the snow in other parts of the US so that it booms in January and then everyone is gone in the summer months because of the extreme Arizona heat, in excess of 120 degrees Fahrenheit on some days where you feel you being baked by heat in the air and radiated from the ground.
Hope your leg is feeling better. I've had issues with my right knee (torn meniscus) that still torments me everyday then goes away then comes back. I haven't figured out the trigger yet. It might be work so I'm retiring this month to test the theory. :-)
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
the premier show over there is the Tucson one. absolutely massive showjedishrfu said:Nice, Dave. We have a rock show in mid January in Quartzite Az, about 12 hours drive from Austin that is quite large. Its held in dusty tents. We went with friends about 10 years ago and got quite a haul of quartz crystal prisms and amesite geode half shells. A lot of the rocks are shipped wholesale from places in South America.
https://www.gemsociety.org/article/view-quartzsite-gem-shows/
Quartzite is one of those trailer towns where folks go to escape the snow in other parts of the US so that it booms in January and then everyone is gone in the summer months because of the extreme Arizona heat, in excess of 120 degrees Fahrenheit on some days where you feel you being baked by heat in the air and radiated from the ground.
Hope your leg is feeling better. I've had issues with my right knee (torn meniscus) that still torments me everyday then goes away then comes back. I haven't figured out the trigger yet. It might be work so I'm retiring this month to test the theory. :-)
It's usually around Jan-Feb for a couple of weeks
thanks for your thoughts
been like that 2 yrs now and they won't do surgery ... a straightforward keyhole surgery sew up.
All walking is painful.
Retirement, lucky you !
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
I’ve heard that too about Tucson but never went. The Quartzite show was enough slogging around for us. It gets very tiring lugging your stuff around for hours.