VISTA and ASP folder permissions

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the user is having trouble copying files from one location to another and Vista is asking for permission to do so. If the user allows Vista to copy the file, it will take up all of their screen and the dialogue box will come up again asking if the user wants to copy the file. If the user instead cancels the copy, Vista will not be able to copy the file.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I'm new to Vista and am trying to run an ASP script to write to a local text file.

I'm getting error 405: Method Not Allowed - 'an invalid method (HTTP verb is being used)'

On my XP system, I had to set 'Modify' permissions on the folder for the machine user - I'm not sure if that's the problem here or not.

Computer science news on Phys.org
How can we possibly know? Try giving the folder full-control permissions for everyone and see if that fixes it. Then dial back the permissions until you know which ones are necessary.

- Warren

Found the problem:
1] You need to set the folder so that IUSR can modify it and anything in it.

> Right-click on folder, select Properties.
> Select the Security tab.
> From Group or user names, select Users (myapp\Users)
> Select Edit under scroll panel
> From Group or user names, select Users (myapp\Users)
> In the bottom panel, Permissions for users, check the Modify : Allow box
> Under the bottom panel Select Apply
> Select OK, to close the Permssions for myapp dialogue
> Near the bottom of the Security panel, select Advanced
> In the permission entries box, select (myapp\Users)
> Select Edit.
> In the permission entries box, select (myapp\Users)
> At the bottom of the dialogue, check the Replace all existing inheritable permssions… checkbox.
> Select Apply, then OK.
> OK to all open dialogue boxes.

2] Uh, you need to enable ASP. Unlike earlier versions of Windows, Vista comes with ASP and .NET locked down and it needs to be explicitly enabled before use.

Control Panel > Programs and Features > (left) Turn Windows Featrues on or off > IIS > WWW Services > App Dev Services > ASP : check

vista sux anyways

You know, I thought Mac's latest commercial poking fun was cattily funny but surely not very faithful to reality.

Having spent two days setting up a half dozen new laptops running Vista I can say with certainty that it is not an exaggeration at all.

To simply copy a file from one location to another, the system stops what it's doing and pops up a dialogue telling me I will need permission to do that.

When I select yes, it then greys out the entire screen (in what appears to be the visual equivalent of speaking slowly to a retard) and pops up another dialogue box asking if I initiated the action that I just inititiated, and I should select yes if so.

It does this with everything.

You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?

DaveC426913 said:
To simply copy a file from one location to another, the system stops what it's doing and pops up a dialogue telling me I will need permission to do that.

When I select yes, it then greys out the entire screen (in what appears to be the visual equivalent of speaking slowly to a retard) and pops up another dialogue box asking if I initiated the action that I just inititiated, and I should select yes if so.

It does this with everything.

You're kidding, right? Is there any kind of override for the dialog boxes, a "do not show this box again" option?

Math Is Hard said:
You're kidding, right? Is there any kind of override for the dialog boxes, a "do not show this box again" option?
Nothing I could see. It may be a more globally set option. Which of course, is counter-productive to the whole "easier for the unwashed masses to operate" philospohy that is the thorn in the side of more competent users.

You can turn off the account services so you can truly run as "superuser" all the time and get rid of the annoying dialog boxes.

The reason the dialog boxes exist is because MS decided to use a real security model for Vista, where users do not run with administrator privileges all the time. The system has to elevate (move to a higher privilege level) frequently, though. The whole grayed-out screen is actually a technique to make sure no one makes malware that simulates the permission dialog box and tricks the user.

Windows Vista probably is substantially more secure than its predecessors, but it has unfortunately made the user experience much more clumsy in order to achieve that goal. As I've said, though, you can turn the security features off if convenience is more important than security (which is true for most casual users).

They're really just doing everything they can to lock down freshly installed Windows machines so viruses and worms will have a more difficult time spreading. Corporations have -- shall we say -- tired of losing days productivity over some Latvian 14 year old's attempt at hacking in Visual Basic.

- Warren

Last edited:
You can disable the UAC prompts by following directions here:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/0d75f774-8514-4c9e-ac08-4c21f5c6c2d91033.mspx?mfr=true [Broken]

There are also some third-party products like Tweak-UAC which can simplify the configuration.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:
are we talking about windows vista here??
if so, vista really sux. it asks for a gpu for even minesweeper. what worse, i couldn't burn any dvd's, it asks for a gpu. what the hell is a gpu supposed to do with dvd burning??

1. What is VISTA and ASP folder permissions?

VISTA (Virtual Information Sharing Tools and Applications) is a software platform developed by the Department of Veterans Affairs to provide a comprehensive electronic health record system. ASP (Active Server Pages) is a technology used for creating dynamic web pages. Folder permissions refer to the access rights given to users for specific folders or directories.

2. How do I set folder permissions in VISTA and ASP?

In VISTA, folder permissions can be set using the File Manager utility. In ASP, folder permissions can be set using the IIS (Internet Information Services) Manager. Both platforms allow you to set permissions for specific users or groups, and choose from a variety of access levels such as read, write, and execute.

3. What is the purpose of setting folder permissions in VISTA and ASP?

Setting folder permissions ensures that only authorized users have access to sensitive information. This helps protect the integrity and confidentiality of the data stored in these folders. It also allows for better organization and management of files and folders.

4. Can I change folder permissions in VISTA and ASP?

Yes, you can change folder permissions at any time. If you need to grant access to new users or revoke access from existing users, you can do so by modifying the permissions for the specific folder. It is important to regularly review and update folder permissions to ensure the security of your data.

5. What are some best practices for managing folder permissions in VISTA and ASP?

Some best practices for managing folder permissions include regularly reviewing and updating permissions, assigning permissions to groups rather than individual users, and limiting access to sensitive information to only those who need it. It is also important to maintain a record of who has access to each folder and regularly audit permissions to ensure they are still necessary and appropriate.