Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualizing Immersions vs. Submersions

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    What is the best way to intuitively and visually distinguish between immersion and submersions? For example, I understand that the standard picture of the Klein Bottle in R^3 is an immersion. How do I see this? (Obviously, it's not an embedding because the Klein Bottle self-intersects in R^3. But how do I see that the differential map is 1-to-1 but not onto?) What would a submersion look like?

Also, can I visualize a copy of the real line in R^3 so that, it is an immersion but not a submersion nor an embedding? Also as a submersion but not an immersion?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2
    The only way something can be a submersion and an immersion is if it's a local diffeomorphism (e.g. a covering map, like the real line to S^1). It's difficult to tell by visual inspection if a map is an immersion - you just calculate the Jacobian. A submersion can most readily be seen by a map R^2->R^1 with no critical points (since then you can visualize it as a graph in R^3).

4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    it is am immersion because there is a tangent plane
    it is not onto because the normal does not lie on the tangent plane

a line that spirals infinitely around a point and converges to that point is not embedded.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook