Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Visualizing seven extra dimensions

1. Jul 19, 2011 #1
    Hi, I am a sculptor working with glass. I have come to this forum for some information.

Several years ago I read an article on sting/M-theory that gave a description of one of the possible shapes the the 7 compact extra dimensions of m-theory. I have been unable to find the article again. I shall do my best to remember the description.

It was something like: 3 curled up dimensions surrounding another 3 curled up dimensions somewhat like a russian doll. These two "sets" of dimensions are somehow separated yet a strange straw-like dimension stretches between between these two "sets", making a total of seven extra compact dimension rolled up into a plank sized nugget.

Does this mean anything to anyone.
    I am interested to make my next project a representation of this preposed shape.

I would appreciate any information, the name of this structure, web references etc.

I am also curious as to how a straw like dimension could represent only one dimension.

Thanks Dave.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2011 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook