Vitamin A-post translational modification

In summary, vitamin A plays a crucial role in vision, reproduction, growth, and maintenance of epithelial cells. One example of post-translational modification brought about by vitamin A is the covalent binding of 11-cis retinal to the protein opsin, which is essential for vision. This can be considered a post-translational modification since it occurs after the protein has been synthesized by the ribosome. Other examples of post-translational modification include the covalent binding of other co-factors, such as heme groups, to proteins.
sameeralord
The question is give an example of post translational modifcation of a protei brought about my vitamin A. Now I checked my book which says vitamin A plays a role in vision, reproduction, growth, maintenance of epithelial cells. I checked the net as well couldn't find the answer . Can anyone tell me the name, so I can search info about it, some info would also be good if possible. Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
Read up on the role of vitamin A in vision. A very important protein in vision binds covalently to a derivative of vitamin A.

Ygggdrasil said:
Read up on the role of vitamin A in vision. A very important protein in vision binds covalently to a derivative of vitamin A.

Thanks Yggg :smile: , ok I checked and it seems opsin binds with 11-cis retinal. Now upto this point I thought post translational modification mean hydoxylation,carboxylation etc. Is adding coenzymes also an example? wait this is not adding a coenzyme right, rhodposin is going to dissociate again. I don't understand why this is an example of post translational modification.

I would classify any chemical modification to a protein after it has been synthesized by the ribosome as a post-translational modification. Since retinal covalently binds to a lysine of opsin, this would seem to fit that definition. So would covalent binding of other co-factors like heme groups.

Ygggdrasil said:
I would classify any chemical modification to a protein after it has been synthesized by the ribosome as a post-translational modification. Since retinal covalently binds to a lysine of opsin, this would seem to fit that definition. So would covalent binding of other co-factors like heme groups.

1. What is post-translational modification of Vitamin A?

Post-translational modification of Vitamin A refers to the chemical changes that occur to the vitamin after it has been translated into its final form. These modifications can alter the function, stability, and localization of the vitamin, ultimately affecting its biological activity.

2. What are the types of post-translational modifications that can occur on Vitamin A?

There are several types of post-translational modifications that can occur on Vitamin A, including acetylation, phosphorylation, glycosylation, and lipidation. These modifications can occur at various sites on the vitamin, such as the hydroxyl groups, carboxyl groups, and retinoid side chain.

3. How do post-translational modifications affect the function of Vitamin A?

Post-translational modifications can alter the structure and chemical properties of Vitamin A, which can ultimately affect its function. For example, phosphorylation can change the charge of the vitamin, while lipidation can increase its hydrophobicity, both of which can impact its interactions with other molecules and its ability to bind to its receptors.

4. What enzymes are involved in post-translational modification of Vitamin A?

Various enzymes are involved in the post-translational modification of Vitamin A, including kinases, acetyltransferases, and glycosyltransferases. These enzymes catalyze the addition or removal of specific chemical groups on the vitamin, thereby modifying its structure and function.

5. Why is post-translational modification important for Vitamin A?

Post-translational modification plays a crucial role in regulating the activity of Vitamin A in the body. These modifications can fine-tune the function of the vitamin, allowing it to perform its biological roles more efficiently. Additionally, post-translational modifications can also impact the storage, transport, and metabolism of Vitamin A in the body.