Vocabulary: What do you call spinning on the opposite axis?

In summary, the two disks have axes of symmetry that we call an axis. The disk with the vertical axis is spinning in the opposite direction, or "at the opposite polarity."
RabbitWho
So imagine you have two disks, and from your perspective one is spinning on its vertical axis and the other one is spinning on its horizontal axis. What do you call that?

And what would it mean to "spin at the opposite polarity" if such a sentence makes any sense at all?

Thank you! Sorry if this is the wrong place, there isn't an "inane questions" section :(

Physics news on Phys.org
RabbitWho said:
So imagine you have two disks, and from your perspective one is spinning on its vertical axis and the other one is spinning on its horizontal axis. What do you call that?
I would call the two axes "orthogonal" or "perpendicular."
RabbitWho said:
And what would it mean to "spin at the opposite polarity" if such a sentence makes any sense at all?
To me, it would mean "rotate in the opposite direction, that is, clockwise versus counterclockwise, when looking along the axis from one 'end'".

Likes RabbitWho
I think I know what you mean. This question leads to a lot of careful language in science papers. Most commonly the terminology of ellipsoids is used. "minor axis" "major axis" "semimajor axis". For a disk there is the minor axis and the other two are the same, both major, and arbitrary in exactly which radial direction. Of course disks aren't ellipsoids, so other language is used. "Axial" and "radial" are common, but those aren't used to describe axes of rotation. While "radial axis" may be decipherable "axial axis" would be terrible. Sometimes "Axis of symmetry" and "perpendicular to the axis of symmetry"

In the end cylinders and disks have an axis of symmetry that we already call an axis. Describing the axis of rotation is always going to trip on that. I say stick with the ellipsoids terminology.

1. What is the term for spinning on the opposite axis?

The term for spinning on the opposite axis is retrograde rotation.

2. How does retrograde rotation differ from prograde rotation?

Retrograde rotation is when an object rotates in the opposite direction of its orbit, while prograde rotation is when an object rotates in the same direction as its orbit.

3. Can any object exhibit retrograde rotation?

Yes, any object with a defined axis of rotation can exhibit retrograde rotation, including planets, moons, and even stars.

4. What is an example of an object that exhibits retrograde rotation?

Venus is an example of an object that exhibits retrograde rotation. It rotates in the opposite direction of its orbit around the sun.

5. How does retrograde rotation affect the appearance of an object?

Retrograde rotation can affect the appearance of an object by causing it to have a different day-night cycle and potentially different patterns of weather and surface features.