Volovik vs Witten vs Wen, etc.

• A
  • Thread starter lucas_
  • Start date
In summary, there is a debate among physicists about the use of condensed matter physics as a fundamental feature of nature. This includes discussions of the Volovik and Witten models, with Witten proposing the use of exact gauge symmetries and Volovik using quantum mechanics as more fundamental to QFT. This is compared to the claims of Hrvoje Nikolic that QM is more fundamental than QFT. While these discussions are not widely popular among physicists, other proponents such as Wen and Holger Bech Nielsen have also shared their views on the topic. There is also a discussion about the possibility of probing the Planck scale using low energy fundamental particles, if Lorentz invariance is not fundamental at small scales.
Giulio Prisco said:
The quotes are formatted in a way that gives the impression that I said "The laws of physics imply that the passage of time is an illusion," but I didn't say and don't think that!
Of course not, it's written in the first line in the link you gave.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am very much interested in the subject. My view is very well described in the article by Giulio Prisco - "Down in the fractal depths of quantum matter and space-time". The world, it seems, can be described as infinite series of approximations/effective fields.

I'm convinced, physicists are able to derive the speed of light, using the same methods they use, when they derive a speed of sound in a medium. Quote:
'Inside such a vacuum structure, the speed of light would not be the critical speed for vacuum constituents and propagating signals. The natural scenario would be the superbradyon (superluminal preon) pattern we postulated in 1995, with a new critical speed cs much larger than the speed of light c just as c is much larger than the speed of sound.' - Luis Gonzalez-Mestres.

There is an inherent preferred frame of reference in that scheme, as far as I understand it. It seems plausible to me, there is an infinity of 'vacua', each possessing different critical speed c1 << c2 << c3 << ... I wonder, if there is a possible connection to fractal geometry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Demystifier