Voltage in the Middle of an Electric Dipole

In summary, the voltage at point X in an electric dipole is zero due to the cancellation of potentials from the two charges. However, the definition of voltage as the work per unit charge to move a test charge from infinity to the point raises questions about the behavior of the electric field when approaching X from different directions. It is important to note that at infinity, the electric field is zero and as the distance from the charges increases, the electric field decreases, making the work required to move a charge negligible. The concept of point charges is a simplified model and may not accurately represent real-world situations.
kaotak
Problem Diagram (Ignore the tildes, they're just placeholders):

Below: An electric dipole
~~~~~~~y-axis~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~<---a---> <---a--->~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+Q --------- X --------- -Q~~~-------------- x-axis

Problem Statement: Find the voltage at X.

My answer is that V_x = 0, since the potentials from each side of the dipole sum to zero. And I'm pretty sure this is right. But my question is... how does this fit in with the following definition of voltage:

"The voltage at an arbitrary point P is the amount of work per unit charge it takes to move a test charge from infinity to P" (Physics for Scientists and Engineers)

I see that if the test charge is approaching X from south of X, the work will be zero, since there is only a force in the east direction as the +Q and -Q cancel e/o out in the y-direction. Same thing if the test charge is approaching x from north of X.

But what if the test charge is approaching X from west of X? east of X? How is the work zero? Won't the work be infinite from the west, assuming a positive test charge, because of the asymptotic behavior of the electric field along that line? Won't it be negatively infinite from the east, assuming a positive test charge?

So, can someone explain how the work is zero coming from infinity west or east of X?

I did think to myself that the work should be path-independent... but it's not... so how would you explain this?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not infinity coming from either west or east. This is because the electric field due to these charges at infinity is zero! The electric field decays very quickly as you move away from these charges. If you do the calculus, you'll find that it takes pretty much negligible work to move any charges around at distances of large multiples of a, since E= kq/r^2 becomes very very small.

Try doing the integration yourself for a single charge to convince yourself that no such infinity exists.

At infinity the electric field is zero. yes. But what about when the test charge is right ontop of +Q as shown in the diagram? And when it is right ontop of -Q as shown in the diagram?

Well, in theory (according to these basic rules) if you have a two positive charges, it is impossible to get them "ontop" of one another, because it would require infinite force. The force of repulsion would be kq1q2/r^2. As r approaches zero, the force approaches infinity. Remember that we have estimated these charges to be "point charges", meaning that they are a singularity. This does not exist in the real world per se.

What I can say is that, this is a model that we've created to help us solve problems, if you are looking at the boundary cases, the answers might become a bit dodgy.

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is often used to describe the behavior of molecules and atoms.

2. How is voltage measured in an electric dipole?

Voltage is measured as the electrical potential difference between the two charges in the dipole. This can be calculated by dividing the work done in moving a unit charge from one charge to the other by the magnitude of the charge.

3. Why is the voltage in the middle of an electric dipole zero?

The voltage in the middle of an electric dipole is zero because the two equal and opposite charges cancel each other out. This means that there is no net electric field at the midpoint, resulting in a zero voltage.

4. Can the voltage in the middle of an electric dipole change?

No, the voltage in the middle of an electric dipole cannot change. As long as the charges and their separation remain constant, the voltage at the midpoint will always be zero.

5. How does the distance between the charges affect the voltage in an electric dipole?

The voltage in an electric dipole is directly proportional to the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the voltage also increases. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the voltage decreases.