1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage of a charged conducting sphere

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    I've recently learned that the voltage of a charged conduction sphere remains constant inside the sphere all the way to the surface, as the electric field inside is zero. What I don't understand is how the voltage can be the same on the surface as it is inside- since there is an electric field on the surface, wouldn't the potential change?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2010 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As you increase r to the surface, the potential does change, but infinitesimally with any infinitesimal increase in r. The electric field can change dramatically, as you have pointed out. But you need to integrate E to get V.

If it helps, let me pose you this question. Consider a step function where y jumps straight up from 0 to 1 at x = 10. What's the area under the curve from x = 0 to x = 9.999999? What's the area under the curve from x = 0 to x = 10.0001?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook