Voltage of a point in varying permittivity medium problem

In summary: In the limit as r goes to infinity, V goes to zero.In summary, the objective of this question is to find the expression for voltage at any point around a point charge placed at the origin of a medium with a relative permittivity of ε_r = a/r, where a is a constant and r is the radius from the origin to any point around the charge. The expression for voltage is V = (Q/4πε_0a)ln(r), where Q is the charge and ε_0 is the permittivity of free space. The integration is done from r to infinity, assuming that the potential at infinity is zero. However, this assumption leads to an incorrect expression and an arbitrary point for V=
null void

Homework Statement

- A point charge is placed at the origin of the medium.
- The relative permittivity of the medium, [itex]\varepsilon_r = a / r[/itex], a is a constant, r is the radius from origin to any point around the charge.
- Objective of this question is to find the expression for voltage.at any point around Q

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\vec E = \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r r^2} \vec r[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 (\frac{a}{r}) r^2} \vec r [/itex]
[itex] = \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 a r }\vec r [/itex]

[itex]V = - \int_\infty^r{\vec E \cdot d \vec l}[/itex]
[itex] = - \int_\infty^r{ \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 a r } dr}[/itex]
[itex] = - \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 a}[ln r - ln \infty] [/itex]
[itex] = \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 a}[\ln \frac{\infty}{r}] [/itex]

In the integration i use [itex]\infty[/itex] as lower boundary to assume the infinity is at 0 voltage.
But the expression seems to be wrong, anyone know where did I messed up?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to work by Gauss's Law in differential mode.

theodoros.mihos said:
Try to work by Gauss's Law in differential mode.

Sorry, I don't quite get you. I have searched around about that differential form, I am not sure what should i find with it.
[itex]Q = \int\int D \cdot ds = \int\int\int \rho_v dv[/itex]
The Q is given in the question as a constant, D can be derived out by Coulomb's law.

The answer for the question is
[itex]V = \frac{Q}{4\pi \epsilon_0 a}\ln{r}[/itex]

it seems as if the integration(in my 1st post) takes the lower boundary at r=1 and upper boundary at r = r

I think than there is a trick on integration.
null void said:
In the integration i use \infty as lower boundary to assume the infinity is at 0 voltage.
Integration limits driven by ##dl## incrase. So I think the correct integral is:
$$ V = -\int_r^\infty \mathbf{E}\cdot{d\mathbf{l}} \Rightarrow V = \frac{Q}{4\pi\epsilon_0a}\,\ln{r} - V_\infty $$
and now you can take ##V_\infty=0##.

null void said:
[itex]\vec E = \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r r^2} \vec r[/itex]
[itex] = \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 (\frac{a}{r}) r^2} \vec r [/itex]
[itex] = \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 a r }\vec r [/itex]

[itex]V = - \int_\infty^r{\vec E \cdot d \vec l}[/itex]
[itex] = - \int_\infty^r{ \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 a r } dr}[/itex]
[itex] = - \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 a}[ln r - ln \infty] [/itex]
[itex] = \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 a}[\ln \frac{\infty}{r}] [/itex]

In the integration i use [itex]\infty[/itex] as lower boundary to assume the infinity is at 0 voltage.
But the expression seems to be wrong, anyone know where did I messed up?

Your work looks correct. As you've discovered, you run into a problem if you try to set the potential equal to zero at infinity. The same thing happens for the potential due to an infinitely long, uniformly charged line of charge.

So, you can just pick an arbitrary point for V = 0. As you stated in post #3, it looks like the given answer takes V = 0 at r = 1. However, the overall sign is incorrect in their answer. V should decrease as r increases, if Q is positive.

TSny said:
V should decrease as r increases, if Q is positive.
That is correct for constant ##\epsilon##. The same calculation in this case produce the known result.
Behaviour is the same as a charge ##Q## leaves on a 2D world.

theodoros.mihos said:
That is correct for constant ##\epsilon##. The same calculation in this case produce the known result.
Behaviour is the same as a charge ##Q## leaves on a 2D world.
We haver [itex]\vec E = \frac{Q}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r r^2} \hat r[/itex] which is valid for any "Class A" dielectric, even when ##\varepsilon_r## is not constant.

If Q is positive you can see that ##\vec E## will be radially outward from Q as long as ##\varepsilon_r## is positive (as usual). In this case, V must decrease as r increases.

Last edited:

What is the definition of voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is typically measured in volts (V).

How does varying permittivity affect voltage?

Varying permittivity refers to changes in the ability of a material to store an electric charge. This can affect the voltage in a circuit by altering the electric field and therefore the potential difference between two points.

How is the voltage at a point calculated in a varying permittivity medium problem?

The voltage at a point in a varying permittivity medium can be calculated using the equation V = Ed, where V is the voltage, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance between the two points.

What is the relationship between voltage and distance in a varying permittivity medium?

In a varying permittivity medium, the voltage at a point is directly proportional to the distance between that point and the source of the electric field. As the distance increases, the voltage decreases.

How can voltage be controlled in a varying permittivity medium problem?

Voltage in a varying permittivity medium can be controlled by adjusting the distance between the two points, as well as by changing the permittivity of the medium itself through the use of different materials or external factors such as temperature or pressure.