Voltage potential due to 2 charges

In summary, the problem was to find the potential at points a and b for charges Q1 = +1.60 nC and Q2 = -1.60 nC. The equation used was V = kQ/r and the solution was 8.99e9 * [( +1.60e-9 / .05) + ( -1.60e-9 / .15 ) ] = 191700 V. However, the solution was incorrect due to a numerical error. The charges should have been in nanocoulombs rather than microcoulombs, resulting in a correct solution of 191.7 V.
bobby3280

Homework Statement

Find the potential at points a and b in the diagram for charges Q1 = +1.60 nC and Q2 = -1.60 nC.

I know b is 0
physics.gif

Homework Equations

V = kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this using the equation and got

8.99e9 * [( +1.60e-6 / .05) + ( -1.60e-6 / .15 ) ] = 191700 V but this isn't right any suggestions??

Physics news on Phys.org
bobby3280 said:

Homework Statement

Find the potential at points a and b in the diagram for charges Q1 = +1.60 nC and Q2 = -1.60 nC.

I know b is 0
physics.gif

Homework Equations

V = kQ/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this using the equation and got

8.99e9 * [( +1.60e-6 / .05) + ( -1.60e-6 / .15 ) ] = 191700 V but this isn't right any suggestions??

If its nancoulombs as the question suggests then you've just made a numerical error in the solution. Nano = x10-9

Wow how'd I miss that thanks!

1. What is the formula for calculating voltage potential due to 2 charges?

The formula for calculating voltage potential due to 2 charges is V = k(q1/q1)/r1 + k(q2/q2)/r2, where V is the voltage potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances between the charges and the point where the voltage is being calculated.

2. How does the distance between the charges affect the voltage potential?

The voltage potential is inversely proportional to the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the voltage potential decreases.

3. Can the voltage potential be negative?

Yes, the voltage potential can be negative. This occurs when the charges have opposite signs and are attracting each other. In this case, the potential energy of the system decreases, resulting in a negative voltage potential.

4. What is the unit of measurement for voltage potential?

The unit of measurement for voltage potential is volts (V). This unit is derived from the formula for voltage potential, which includes the unit of charge (coulombs) and the unit of distance (meters).

5. How is voltage potential different from electric potential energy?

Voltage potential and electric potential energy are related but different concepts. Voltage potential is the amount of potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. Electric potential energy, on the other hand, is the total potential energy of a system of charges. In other words, voltage potential is a measure of the strength of the electric field at a single point, while electric potential energy is a measure of the total energy stored in an electric field.