Voltage Used to Fire an Electron

In summary, when trying to solve a homework problem, it is necessary to assume that the TV screen is the anode and calculate the acceleration needed to send the electron from the gun to the screen in the given time.
burnst14

Homework Statement

If an electron travels 0.210 m from an electron gun to a TV screen in 29.7 ns, what voltage was used to accelerate it? (Note that the voltage you obtain here is lower than actually used in TVs to avoid the necessity of relativistic corrections.)

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations, but past that, I don't have one.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have calculated the acceleration and change in PE, as prompted by WebAssign, but I only have an equation for ΔV. I tried assuming the voltage at the TV screen was zero, but the answer was incorrect.

a = 4.76E14 m/s2
vfinal = 14,141,414,14 m/s
ΔPE = -ΔKE = -6.44E-24 J
ΔV = 4.03E-5 V

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with the acceleration you found. Velocity, I am less sure. I get 14141414.14 m/s, and if the final comma in your figure was actually a period, then we have the same value. But I obtain a completely different number for the change in energy.

Likes 1 person
The electron is accelerated in the electron gun and not between the gun and the screen.
You cannot (and don't need to) calculate the acceleration in the gun.

Just find the voltage necessary for the electron to leave the gun with a speed so that it can travel the given distance in the given time.

Ah, yes indeed. Somehow I imagined that the TV screen was the anode, which is of course not true.

Alright, I recalculated change in energy and obtained 9.11E-17 J. Yes that comma is supposed to be a period. All right, now. I have no idea what equation I would use to find that voltage. I looked through my notes and didn't see one even close, except that ΔV one I tried to use. Also, I don't know this word, anode.

Okay, I got the answer right with my new potential energy. I must have typed something into my calculator wrong. I'm still kind of confused about why that's correct though. Is that "Note" at the end of the problem statement basically saying that there is no voltage at the TV to slow down or speed up the electron en route?

The anode is the positive electrode. Since you got the correct answer, apparently you do have to assume that the TV screen is the anode. Which is not true on real TVs, because the accelerating voltage is usually quite high, which, even if is not lethal, would be quite unpleasant to unsuspecting customers.

Likes 1 person
Alright thanks. Plenty more homework to do, so I'll probably be back.

1. What is voltage used to fire an electron?

Voltage used to fire an electron is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points. It is the force that drives an electron to move from one point to another.

2. How is voltage used to fire an electron measured?

Voltage used to fire an electron is typically measured in units of volts (V). This is the same unit used to measure electric potential difference.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and firing an electron?

The relationship between voltage and firing an electron is direct. As the voltage increases, the force on the electron also increases, making it easier for the electron to move from one point to another.

4. What is the minimum voltage required to fire an electron?

The minimum voltage required to fire an electron varies depending on the specific material or system being used. In general, a minimum voltage of around 3-5 volts is required to overcome the potential barrier and allow the electron to move freely.

5. What factors can affect the voltage needed to fire an electron?

The voltage needed to fire an electron can be affected by several factors, including the material's conductivity, the distance between the two points, and the presence of external electric fields. Temperature and light can also affect the voltage needed to fire an electron in certain materials.