1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the voltage needed to accelerate the electron from rest

1. May 17, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron moving with a speed v can behave as wave with wavelength 6.4 x 10^-15 m. Given that the mass of electron = 9.1 x 10^-31 kg and the charge of electron is 1.6 x 10^-19 C, find
    (a) the speed of v of the electron, and
    (b) the voltage needed to accelerate the electron from rest until it acquires the speed v.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) wavelength = h / mv
    v = h/ (m x wavelength)
    = 1.1384 X 10^11 m/s

How do I calculate (b)? Please help, thank you. Kindly correct me if (a) is wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2015 #2
    You are dealing with non-relativistic electron, right ? In that case i don't see any mistake in (a)
    (b) Energy = charge * voltage, can you translate that to kinetic energy and pull a speed out of there ?
    [EDIT: In case i wasn't clear, the potential energy which is E = e*V translates to kinetic energyenergy but that fact, e*V = mv^2 /2]

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  4. May 17, 2015 #3
    The electron gains kinetic energy when moving at the speed you found. Think of the conservation of energy and from where it gained that energy.

5. May 17, 2015 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the speed of light? Can you use the rest mass of electron to calculate the momentum? See:
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/relmom.html

6. May 17, 2015 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can anything travel with 1.1384 X 10^11 m/s speed?

7. May 17, 2015 #6
    Classically, Yes .

8. May 17, 2015 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the speed of light?
    And in reality?

9. May 17, 2015 #8
    It doesn't, but people before the 19th thought that it was possible either way, you are extremely right, but as a homework he should use special relativity, i think, however sorry for that .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted