Volume and plane intersecting sphere

In summary, the volume of the hemisphere formed when tilting a plane at an angle theta through a sphere can be found using the equation V = \frac{\pi R^{3}}{3}( cos^{3}(\theta) - 3 cos(\theta) + 2 ). This can be proven using integration of the sphere sections, which may be more easily understood geometrically rather than through calculus.
FortranMan

Homework Statement

A plane is tangent to the surface of a sphere. You then tilt the plane at an angle theta along one axis, causing it to begin passing through the sphere and splitting the sphere's volume into two regions. I claim the volume of the hemisphere the plane has just passed through is found from the equation below. How do I prove this using geometry?

Homework Equations

[tex]
V = \frac{\pi R^{3}}{3}( cos^{3}(\theta) - 3 cos(\theta) + 2 )
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Attach a picture please, to show what theta is.

ehild

You prove it with integration of the sphere sections.
I'm not sure what d'you mean "geometrically".

Quinzio said:
You prove it with integration of the sphere sections.
I'm not sure what d'you mean "geometrically".
I think he meant geometrically because he has not yet a working knowledge of calculus since this is in the precalculus section.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere is V = (4/3)πr^3, where π is a constant and r is the radius of the sphere.

How do you find the equation of a plane intersecting a sphere?

The equation of a plane intersecting a sphere can be found by setting the equation of the plane equal to the equation of the sphere and solving for the variable. This will give you the point(s) of intersection.

What is the relationship between the volume of a sphere and the plane intersecting it?

The volume of a sphere and the plane intersecting it are not directly related. The volume of the sphere will remain the same regardless of how the plane intersects it. The intersection of the sphere and the plane will determine the shape and size of the resulting figure, but not the volume.

How does changing the position of the plane affect the volume of the intersecting region?

Changing the position of the plane can affect the volume of the intersecting region in different ways. If the plane is moved closer to the center of the sphere, it may result in a smaller intersecting region and therefore a smaller volume. However, if the plane is moved further away from the center, it may result in a larger intersecting region and a larger volume.

Can a plane intersect a sphere more than once?

Yes, a plane can intersect a sphere more than once. Depending on the position and orientation of the plane, it can intersect the sphere at different points, resulting in multiple intersections. The number of intersections will depend on the specific values of the equations for the plane and the sphere.