N lines separate the plane into...

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that n lines divide a plane into (n^2+n+2)/2 regions if no two lines are parallel and no three pass through a common point. The solution involves extending the lines to infinity and noting that the number of bounded regions is (1/2)(n-1)(n-2), which is also the genus formula for a complex projective plane curve of degree n.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

Show that n lines separate the plane into (n^2+n+2)/2 regions if no two of these lines are parallel and no three pass through a common point

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Look at my picture. The one on the left separates into 4 reigions, the one on the right separates into 3. Yet using the same n=2 lines. I don't understand

Attachments

• huh.png
    huh.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 305
Physics news on Phys.org
Your drawing is finite. The plane is not.

Extend the lines to infinity.

Orodruin said:
Your drawing is finite. The plane is not.

Extend the lines to infinity.

gahh I am an idiot. thank you lol

r0bHadz said:
gahh I am an idiot. thank you lol
Don’t worry. I have seen hundreds of posts like this so you are not alone. Sometimes you need to be pointed to the trees in the forest.

moreover it seems that exactly 2n of the regions are unbounded, and (1/2)(n-1)(n-2) are bounded. The number of bounded regions, or "holes" in the figure, interestingly gives the genus formula for a complex projective plane curve of degree n. This is the argument by degenerating a curve of degree n into n general lines. At first I was puzzled as to why the number of regions was larger than the genus, since, knowing the genus formula, I thought I it would be also the answer to your problem.

Likes r0bHadz

1. How do N lines separate the plane into regions?

When N lines intersect in a plane, they create N+1 regions. For example, if there are 3 lines, they will create 4 regions. This is because each line intersects with every other line, creating a new region.

2. What is the maximum number of regions that N lines can create in a plane?

The maximum number of regions that N lines can create in a plane is given by the formula N(N+1)/2 + 1. For example, if there are 5 lines, they can create a maximum of 16 regions.

3. How does the number of regions change as N lines are added to the plane?

As N lines are added to the plane, the number of regions increases by N+1. This is because each new line intersects with every other line, creating a new region.

4. Can N lines create an infinite number of regions in a plane?

No, N lines can only create a finite number of regions in a plane. This is because the lines must intersect with each other to create new regions, and there is a limit to how many intersections can occur in a finite plane.

5. How does the orientation of N lines affect the number of regions in a plane?

The orientation of N lines does not affect the number of regions in a plane. As long as the lines intersect, the number of regions will be the same regardless of their orientation.