Finding the Centre of Mass of a Hemisphere

In summary: Your method is incorrect. Two equal volumes doesn't work because the center of mass of each piece is a different distance from the plane ##z=h##.
akrill
Homework Statement
Given a hemisphere of radius r and uniform density, find the centre of mass of the hemisphere
Relevant Equations
None given.
  • Place hemisphere in xyz coordinates so that the centre of the corresponding sphere is at the origin.
  • Then notice that the centre of mass must be at some point on the z axis ( because the 4 sphere segments when cutting along the the xz and xy planes are of equal volume)
  • y2 + x2 = r2
  • We want two volumes, V1 and V2 which are equal, only cutting parallel to the flat side of the hemisphere at some distance h.
  • Recall volume of revolution formula, V = π∫y2dx
  • V1 = ∫0h r2 - x2 dx
  • Similarly, V2 = ∫hr r2 - x2 dx
  • Then, by equating the two integrals and doing some rearrangement, I got to: h3-3r2h +r3 = 0
  • Also, 0 < h < r obviously.
Not really sure how to solve for h here, I dont think I made a mistake while rearranging. Is my method valid and/or is there a simpler way to do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you calculate a moment. And how is moment related to the center of gravity?
If you simplify by taking r=1, then you will be calculating h/r.

Your cubic equation looks correct. How to solve a cubic?

akrill said:
Is my method valid and/or is there a simpler way to do this?
Your method is incorrect. Two equal volumes doesn't work because the center of mass of each piece is a different distance from the plane ##z=h##.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
To be honest I don't think it is right. I've read some more based on what @.Scott said, and I think the correct strategy is to integrate the moments of the "slices" of the hemisphere (thickness dz) and then divide by the mass.

Likes PeroK and .Scott
vela said:
Your method is incorrect. Two equal volumes doesn't work because the center of mass of each piece is a different distance from the plane ##z=h##.
Alright, thanks for clarifying :)

akrill said:
To be honest I don't think it is right. I've read some more based on what @.Scott said, and I think the correct strategy is to integrate the moments of the "slices" of the hemisphere (thickness dz) and then divide by the mass.
Yes, my mistake. I just checked your integration.

In my defence I was cooking and doing physics at the same time.

• Haha
Likes PhDeezNutz and berkeman
PeroK said:
BTW, the solution to the cubic equation
$$\alpha^3 -3\alpha +1 = 0$$Where ##0<\alpha <1## is:$$\alpha =2\cos(\frac 4 9 \pi) \approx 0.3473$$

PeroK said:
BTW, the solution to the cubic equation
$$\alpha^3 -3\alpha +1 = 0$$Where ##0<\alpha <1## is:$$\alpha =2\cos(\frac 4 9 \pi) \approx 0.3473$$
Just to be clear, that's the solution to the cubic, but not the center of gravity.

.Scott said:
Just to be clear, that's the solution to the cubic, but not the center of gravity.
If you wanted to divide the hemisphere horizontally into two parts of equal mass, that's the ratio of ##\frac h r## that you would use.

Likes .Scott

1. What is the definition of the center of mass of a hemisphere?

The center of mass of a hemisphere is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in the hemisphere. It is the point at which the hemisphere would balance if it were placed on a pivot.

2. How is the center of mass of a hemisphere calculated?

The center of mass of a hemisphere can be calculated by finding the average of the x, y, and z coordinates of all the points within the hemisphere. This can be done using integration or geometric methods.

3. Why is finding the center of mass of a hemisphere important?

Finding the center of mass of a hemisphere is important in many areas of science and engineering, such as determining the stability of structures or analyzing the motion of objects. It also allows us to understand the distribution of mass within the hemisphere.

4. Is the center of mass of a hemisphere always located at the geometric center?

No, the center of mass of a hemisphere is not always located at the geometric center. It depends on the density distribution of the hemisphere. If the density is uniform, the center of mass will be at the geometric center. However, if the density is not uniform, the center of mass will be shifted towards the denser regions.

5. How does the center of mass of a hemisphere change with the radius?

As the radius of a hemisphere increases, the center of mass will also move further away from the geometric center. This is because the volume and mass of the hemisphere increase with the radius, causing a shift in the center of mass towards the larger mass. However, if the density distribution remains uniform, the center of mass will still be located at the geometric center.