Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume element in different coordinate system

1. Jun 26, 2011 #1
    Very simple question:

Let [itex]x^0,x^1,...,x^n[/itex] be some fixed coordinate system, so that the infinitesimal volume element is [itex]dV=dx^0dx^1...dx^n[/itex].
    Then any change to a new (primed) coordinate system [itex]x^{0'},x^{1'},...,x^{n'}[/itex] transforms the volume to [tex]dV=\frac{\partial (x^0,x^1,...,x^n)}{\partial (x^{0'},x^{1'},...,x^{n'})}dx^{0'}dx^{1'}...dx^{n'}[/tex] where [itex]\frac{\partial (x^0,x^1,...,x^n)}{\partial (x^{0'},x^{1'},...,x^{n'})}[/itex] is the determinat of the jacobian of the transformation.

So let's try to do this in a concrete example: the transformation from cartesian [itex]x,y[/itex] to polar [itex]r,\theta[/itex] coordinates.
    The Jacobian is simply [itex]r[/itex] and so i get to [itex]dV=dxdy=rdrd\theta[/itex].

Doing the math i get [tex]dV^{pol.}=r(\cos\theta dx+\sin\theta dy)(-\frac{1}{r}\sin\theta dx+\frac{1}{r}\cos\theta dy)[/tex]since [itex]dr=\cos\theta dx+\sin\theta dy[/itex] and [itex]d\theta=-\frac{1}{r}\sin\theta dx+\frac{1}{r}\cos\theta dy[/itex].
    But then:[tex]dV^{pol.}=-\cos\theta\sin\theta dx^2+\cos^2\theta dxdy-\sin^2\theta dxdy + \cos\theta\sin\theta dy^2[/tex] and is clear that [itex]dV^{cart.}\neq dV^{pol.}[/itex] !!!
    Where is my mistake?? Thanks for your help guys!!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2
    You can't just multiply differentials.

Try using the formal rules

dx dx = dy dy = 0

and

dx dy = -dy dx

4. Jun 27, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]x= r cos(\theta)[/tex] [tex]y= r sin(\theta)[/tex]

[tex]dx= cos(\theta)dr- r sin(\theta)d\theta[/tex]

[tex]dy= sin(\theta)dr+ r cos(\theta)d\theta[/tex]

But when you multiply differentials, you have to use "skew product" Petr Mugver mentions.

A good way of thinking about it is as vectors
    [tex]dx= cos(\theta)dr\vec{i}- r sin(\theta)d\theta\vec{j}[/tex]
    [tex]dy= sin(\theta)dr\vec{i}+ r sin(\theta)d\theta\vec{j}[/tex]

Now the product is the cross product of the two "vectors".

[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}\vec{i} & \vec{j} & \vec{k} \\ cos(\theta) & - rsin(\theta) & 0 \\ sin(\theta) & rcos(\theta) & 0 \end{array}\right|= (rcos^2(\theta)+ rsin^2(\theta))drd\theta\vec{k}= r drd\theta \vec{k}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook