Volume Expansion: 15.5cm Sphere Heated from 40°C to 210°C

  • Thread starter Thread starter ISU20CpreE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expansion Volume
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
ISU20CpreE
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
A quartz sphere is 15.5 cm in diameter. What will be its change in
volume if it is heated from 40°C to 210°C?
Ok so what I did was use the diameter of the sphere and use the volume formula of the sphere and I got 15598.53 cm^3. Then what I did was use this formula [tex]\Delta(V) = \beta V_o\Delta(T)[/tex] knowing this formula I plug in the informationg given in the problem, but the part I don't understand is if its [tex]\Delta(T)[/tex] shouldn't it be the final tamperature minus the initial? Giving me 170 C. I can't do that part I need help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, [tex]\Delta(T)[/tex] is the change in temperature, 170 degrees Centigrade. What do you mean you "can't do that part"? Have you looked up [itex]\beta[/itex] for quartz?
 
HallsofIvy said:
Yes, [tex]\Delta(T)[/tex] is the change in temperature, 170 degrees Centigrade. What do you mean you "can't do that part"? Have you looked up [itex]\beta[/itex] for quartz?
YEs i did but i really can't get the answer the Beta for quartz is 0.000001 i don't get the answer right. What can i do?
 
ISU20CpreE said:
YEs i did but i really can't get the answer the Beta for quartz is 0.000001 i don't get the answer right. What can i do?

I get 2.65 cm^3 as an answer.
 
ISU20CpreE said:
I get 2.65 cm^3 as an answer.

is this answer corect?