1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume from rotating function about y axis

1. Jun 27, 2009 #1
    y=1/x, y=0, x=1,x=1, rotate around y axis;

curious how to set this up using washers

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2009 #2
    Re: volumes

It's been a long time since I have done this, but I think this should be done with disks & I believe you meant x=1 and y=1 ?

4. Jun 27, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: volumes

You have "x= 1, x= 1". Surely, that's not what you meant! I am going to assume the limits are x= a, x= b, with a< b.

Because you have constant x limits (I assume), and are rotating around the y-axis, "washers" is not the best way to do this. The simplest method would be shells.

But since you ask:

There is no graph below y= 1/b. But you have y= 0 as the lower limit for the figure. So, for y= 0 to 1/a, this is a cylinder. its volume is [itex]\pi(b^2- a^2)(1/a)[/itex], the area between the two circles, of radii a and b, times it height, 1/a.

For y= 1/a to 1/b, draw a horizontal line from line from x= (a, y) to (1/y, y) (Since y= 1/x, x= 1/y). Rotated about the y-axis that gives a "washer". Its area is the difference between the areas of the two circles: [itex]\pi((1/y)^2- a^2)[/itex]. The volume of that "washer" is that area times its thickness, "dy": [itex]\pi\int_{y= 1/a}^{1/b} ((1/y)^2- a^2)dy[/itex]. Don't forget to add that first volume to get the volume of the entire thing.

5. Jun 27, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi nameVoid! :smile:

I'm not sure what you mean :redface:, but the general technique is to cut it into slices with thickness dx … then the volume of each slice is (area)dx, and so the total volume is ∫(area)dx. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook